Ericka Jacobs Schulz
is an associate in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s San Diego office. Ms. Schulz is a registered patent attorney, with a Master of Science in electrical engineering. She assists technology clients enforce intellectual property rights. Her engineering education and work experience includes software and hardware engineering, which allows her patent and trade secret practice to focus on a wide range of technical fields involving electrical, software, networking, mechanical, and medical device systems. Additionally, Ms. Schulz has considerable patent trial experience in the Eastern District of Texas, in both the Marshall and Tyler Divisions, and in front of the International Trade Commission (“ITC”).
Prior to private practice, Mrs. Schulz worked as an electrical engineer at WindRiver Systems, Inc. designing embedded systems for three years in addition to three summer internships at Qualcomm, Inc. in the network and test engineering departments, and an internship at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Ms. Schulz studied internationally in a number of countries including Japan, Brazil, Chile, Argentina and South Africa.
- Represents Align Technology, Inc. as plaintiff in a patent infringement case against a competitor in both the Southern District of Texas and at the International Trade Commission
- Obtained complete victory for International Business Machines, Corp. in the Northern District of California in a high stakes Trade Secret case by winning Summary Judgment that the Plaintiff’s claims were time-barred, Appeal denied.
- Obtained complete victory for Apple, Inc. in the Eastern District of Texas in a high-profile patent litigation involving four patents and numerous claims of infringement over Apple’s iPhone, iPad, iPod, iTunes and Macintosh Computer products, Appeal pending.
- Pro bono representation of the Surfing Madonna Oceans Project and Mark Patterson in the application to the City of Encinitas and the State of California for installation of the SAVE THE OCEAN Mosaic
- Represented Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. and its U.S. subsidiary Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc., as plaintiffs in a patent infringement case filed in the Eastern District of Texas against Harmonix Music Systems, Inc., MTV Networks, Co., Viacom International Inc., and Viacom Inc., to enforce three of Konami’s patents covering the popular video music game, Rock Band
- Represented various pro bono clients in successful asylum applications and an application for a minor for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status
- Represented Quanta Computer, Inc. in jury trial in the Eastern District of Texas, in LaserDynamics v. Quanta Computer, Inc. et al.
Accolades and Recognitions
- Pro Bono Committee Member 2008-present, Pro Bono Office of the Year in 2010
- SDVLP Pro Bono Firm of the Year 2010
- Firm Ranked 7th Nationally for Pro Bono by The American Lawyer, 2010
- Pro Bono Commitment Award, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- University of San Diego School of Law, J.D., 2006
- California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo, M.S., 2000
- California Polytechnic State University San Luis Obispo, B.S., 1999
Mrs. Schulz completed her master’s thesis at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, which involved a biotechnology software application involving a digital image processing software program used to analyze microarray images of DNA.