Kevin P. Broughel
is a partner in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. Mr. Broughel focuses his practice in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, regulatory enforcement and white collar criminal investigations, securities and shareholder disputes and financial services litigation.
This work has included representing clients in disputes and governmental investigations relating to the subprime mortgage and credit crisis. He also has extensive experience with corporate governance and fiduciary duty issues in both state and federal courts. Mr. Broughel is a member of the firm's securities litigation and investigations and white collar defense practices, and regularly writes on various financial litigation topics. Mr. Broughel also serves as Co-Chair of the Talent Development Committee for the New York office and as ABA Co-Chair for Programming for the Pretrial Practice and Discovery Committee.
Mr. Broughel received a Bachelor of Arts in English, from Georgetown University, cum laude
, in 1998 and earned a minor in Social and Political Thought, an honors program at the university. In 2003, he graduated from Fordham University School of Law. While at Fordham, he was a member of Moot Court, serving as captain of the 2002 BMI/Cardozo Entertainment and Communications Law competition team, which won "Best Overall Team" and "Best Brief Honors." He was also a semi-finalist in the 2001 Maurice Wormser Corporate Law Moot Court competition. Mr. Broughel is a member of both the New York and Connecticut bars.
- A global air carrier in a multi-district litigation relating to alleged price-fixing in the global air cargo business
- A global investment bank in various cases involving complex synthetic CDO transactions
- A major energy delivery company before the Delaware Chancery Court and Delaware Supreme Court regarding a challenge to a $1.2 billion pipeline expansion project
- A major telecommunications and cable provider in Delaware Chancery Court concerning the purchase and sale of certain cable television systems.
- A leading media company regarding termination obligations and unpaid commissions relating to television advertising services
- A worldwide boxing and sporting goods company in an action brought by shareholders concerning a proposed sale and merger
- A private equity firm in litigation arising from the proposed purchase of a sports trading card and memorabilia company
Accolades and Recognitions
- Selected for inclusion in New York Metro Super Lawyers list - "Rising Stars" Edition for Business Litigation (2013 & 2014)
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- "Mediation And The Thorny Issue Of Settlement Authority," Law360, New York (March 30, 2015) (co-author Douglas Flaum).
- Speaker, "Early Case Assessment and Other Initial Stages of Complex Litigation," ABA Teleconference, February 19, 2015.
- "Video Privacy Protection Act Could Be The New TCPA," Law360, New York (November 19, 2014).
- Moderator, "Disruptive Innovation and the Legal Services Market: Are Upsets on the Horizon?," ABA Section of Litigation Annual, Boston, MA, August 7, 2014.
- Moderator, "For the Record, from Start to Finish: Your Case on Appeal Can Be Greatly Improved by Focusing on Potential Appellate Issues at Every Step of the Litigation Process," ABA Litigation Section Annual, Scottsdale, AZ, April 11, 2014.
- Speaker, "The Mightiest Pen: Effective Motion Practice," ABA Teleconference, March 27, 2014.
- "The Real Application of FRCP 1 to E-Discovery," Pretrial Practice & Discovery, ABA Section of Litigation, Winter 2014 Newsletter, January 27, 2014 (co-authors Carla Walworth and Regan Kirk).
- Your Questions Answered: Preparing Your Witness for a Deposition," Pretrial Practice & Discovery, ABA Section of Litigation, Spring 2013 Newsletter, May 22, 2013.
- "Insights From An Under-The-Radar CDO Case", Law360, (May 9, 2013) (co-author James Bliss).
- Moderator, The Best Defense Is a Good Offense: How to Proactively Prepare Your Witness for a Successful Deposition, ABA Webinar, March 26, 2013.
- Second Circuit Dismisses Short-Swing Profit Claim, January 10, 2013.
- Hedge Fund Report - Summary of Key Developments - Fall 2012, December 5, 2012.
- Second Circuit Provides Cautionary Tale For Contractual Provisions Negating Third Party Enforcement, August 17, 2012.
- Voom v. EchoStar - First Department Analyzes When Duty to Preserve Evidence is Triggered, February 7, 2012.
- Hedge Fund Report - Summary of Key Developments - Fall 2011, November 3, 2011.
- Hedge Fund Report - Summary of Key Developments - Spring 2011, April 25, 2011.
- Hedge Fund Report - Summary of Key Developments - Fall 2010, October 29, 2010.
- SEC Scrutinizing Hedge Fund "Side Pockets," May 6, 2010.
- Hedge Fund Report: Summary of Key Developments - Spring, 2010, March 11, 2010.
- Credit Default Swaps: Lessons From Two Recent Decisions, New York Law Journal, January 5, 2009, January 7, 2009.
- Federal Reserve Proposes New Regulations in Response to Subprime Issues, December 21, 2007.
- Fordham University Law School, J.D., 2003
- Georgetown University, B.A., 1998