Michael Fitzgerald heads the Latin America Practice Group at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office.
Mr. Fitzgerald has represented a wide range of international and domestic underwriter and issuer clients in debt and equity financing transactions and merger and acquisition activities. He has been especially active in Latin American financial markets, and was one of the first US corporate lawyers to focus on capital markets work in the region. He is recognized as a leading lawyer (band 1) by Chambers USA, Chambers Global, and Chambers Latin America; named in the International Who's Who of Capital Markets Lawyers and Business Lawyers; recognized by Legal 500 US as one of the four leading lawyers in the US for Global Offerings; named one of the world's best capital markets lawyers in PLC Cross Border Handbook; and included among the "500 Best Lawyers in the US" by Lawdragon. Mr. Fitzgerald has written articles and presented seminars on a variety of issues involving international capital markets.
- Alpek, S.A.B. de C.V., one of the largest chemical companies in the world in connection with its $900 million IPO, the largest IPO by a Mexican company in many years.
- Fibra Uno, representation of the underwriters in the first REIT in Latin America for the largest real estate company in Mexico. Established a new asset class with five other Fibras done in the past year.
- Genomma Lab Internacional in its attempted $2.8 billion hostile takeover of Prestige Brands Holdings, including securing $2.2 billion of committed financing for the bid
- TAESA, one of the largest electric utilities in Brazil in the largest corporate stock offering done in Brazil in 2012 and Latin Finance magazine’s equity deal of the year.
Accolades and Recognitions
- Recognized as a leading lawyer (band 1) by Chambers USA, Chambers Global and Chambers Latin America
- Named in the International Who's Who of Capital Markets Lawyers and Business Lawyers
- Recognized by Legal 500 US - one of four leading lawyers in the US for Global Offerings
- Named one of the world's best capital markets lawyers in PLC Cross Border Handbook
- One of the "500 Best Lawyers in the US" by Lawdragon
Speaking Engagements and Publications
Mr. Fitzgerald has written articles and presented seminars on a variety of issues involving the international capital markets.
- Author, "Tracing the Sources of Latin America's Economic Boom," Latin American Law & Business Report (May 2011)
- Author, "Venture Capitalists Look to Mexico and Latin America," North American Free Trade & Investment Report (January 2010)
- Co-author, "The Threat of Unsponsored ADR Programs," Insights (April 2009)
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A.