is a partner in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s San Francisco office. He represents clients in commercial, intellectual property, trade secret, environmental, consumer, bankruptcy, and mass tort litigation. Mr. Meier represents companies in the financial services, aerospace, automobile, consumer electronic, Internet and software, and medical products industries. He has experience in counseling Department of Energy and Department of Defense contractors regarding unique issues of liability for mass torts and indemnification rights. His bankruptcy experience includes work with creditors and debtors in the real estate development, construction, electronics, and container shipping industries.
- Mr. Meier defended a medical diagnostics company against claims that it underpaid royalties for use of its competitor’s patent rights. He obtained a complete defense award in this matter, including attorneys’ fees, against a claim valued in excess of $50 million. Mr. Meier also represented an orthodontic products company in actions against a major competitor and related parties for theft of trade secrets and trademark infringement.
- Mr. Meier’s successful results for toxic tort clients have included the defense of claims against a leading aerospace company relating to the operation of rocket manufacturing and testing facilities. Mr. Meier developed a case management strategy in the litigation that led to the dismissal of more than 100 claims, as well as the dismissal of all class claims for property damage and CERCLA remedies (involving a potential class of more than 300,000 landowners). He has obtained dismissals of unfair competition claims relating to the operation of hazardous waste disposal facilities in Southern California. Mr. Meier also has defended automobile and consumer electronics manufacturers against consumer class actions.
- Mr. Meier also has obtained complete defense victories in consumer arbitrations, and has successfully defended numerous unfair competition actions in California courts.
- Mr. Meier recently defended a manufacturer of power generation and pollution control systems in a mass tort action filed in the United States District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania. The plaintiffs alleged property damage and personal injuries relating to the operation of two nuclear fuel fabrication facilities. Current clients also include a global aerospace company with operations in Southern California.
- He has counseled a Fortune 50 aerospace company in cost recovery proceedings with the DCMA and DCAA.
- University of California Davis School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Columbia University, B.A., 1990