Mergers and Acquisitions
“The firm brings a global, interdisciplinary approach to its M&A work and offers a full range of corporate services for its clients. Sources say: ‘The most business-oriented counsel that I have ever worked with.’”
—Chambers USA 2012
“Responsive and highly skilled attorneys, who provide focused and tailored representation to the client’s industry and to the needs of the client.”
—The Legal 500: United States 2012
Paul Hastings is widely recognized as an international leader in mergers and acquisitions. We have the deep experience, local market knowledge, and geographic reach to advise clients in Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the U.S. on a full range of domestic and cross-border transactions.
Our lawyers work with publicly listed and private clients, including buyers, sellers, financial advisors, special committees, private equity sponsors, and other financing sources on a variety of mergers, acquisitions, dispositions, and joint ventures.
Our experience covers:
- Public and private mergers
- Stock and asset purchases
- Private equity-sponsored investments and leveraged buyouts
- Strategic investments and joint ventures
- Restructurings, recapitalizations, and workouts
- Tender offers
- Going-private transactions
- Proxy contests
- Divestitures and spin-offs
Our experience includes deals of all sizes, with a particular focus on advising multinational clients engaged in significant transactional activity as part of their strategic plan.
Full Complement of Supporting Services for M&A Transactions
We draw on our firm’s vast resources to provide clients with globally coordinated, multidisciplinary teams, no matter where their business takes them. We collaborate with our industry and practice-specific specialists to address the specific challenges presented by each transaction, including antitrust, employment, environmental, finance, intellectual property, litigation, real estate, regulatory, securities, and tax.
Acclaim for Our Global M&A Practice
Our leadership in M&A has been acknowledged by the market and our peers:
- #13 Advisor to Global Buyouts by Volume - Mergermarket 2012 Global M&A League Tables
- #9 Advisor to U.S. Buyouts by Volume – Mergermarket 2012 Global M&A League Tables
- #11 Advisor to U.S. Target M&A by Volume – Thomson Reuters 2012 Mid-Market M&A League Tables
- One of only four firms nationwide ranked Tier 1 for U.S. Middle-Market M&A - Legal 500 U.S. 2012
- Retail Manufacturing/Distribution Deal of the Year 2012 and Finalist for Distressed M&A Deal of the Year 2012 – M&A Advisor
- Finalist for Deal of the Year 2012: Outbound Investment – Latin Lawyer
- Law Firm of the Year 2012 – Private Equity Magazine
- Deal of the Year 2011 and Firm of the Year 2011 - ASIAN-MENA COUNSEL
Our recent client successes include representing:
- Shuanghui International Holdings Limited, the owner of China’s largest publicly traded meat processing enterprise, on its US$7.1 billion agreement to acquire Smithfield Foods, the largest U.S. publicly traded pork processor and hog producer. The combination will create one of the largest global pork production, processing, and packaged meat companies in the world.
- Cequel Communications (d/b/a Suddenlink Communications) on its US$6.6 billion sale to BC Partners, CPP Investment Board, and certain members of Suddenlink’s management team. We also represented Suddenlink’s management team in the acquisition and Suddenlink in a related debt financing commitment.
- Samsung Electronics on the following transactions:
- US$1.4 billion sale of its hard disk drive (HDD) business to Seagate Technology, and extending and enhancing the existing patent cross-license agreement between the companies. This complex, multijurisdictional deal was awarded M&A Deal of the Year 2011 by Asian-Mena Counsel and Matter of the Year 2012 by Global Competition Review.
- US$310 million acquisition of U.K.-listed CSR plc’s mobile connectivity and location technology
- Acquisition of Sweden-based Nanoradio AB, a developer of ultra-low-power wireless LAN chipsets for high-speed wireless access in mobile phones.
- Ardea Biosciences, a publicly listed U.S. biotechnology company, on its US$1.26 billion all-cash acquisition by AstraZeneca, a global biopharmaceutical company based in the U.K.
- Weichai Power, a leading automotive and equipment manufacturing group in China, on its purchase of a 25% stake in KION Group and a 70% stake in KION’s hydraulics business, Linde Hydraulics. The transaction comprises a total investment volume of €738 million.
- Exor, the investment company of the Agnelli family, and main shareholder of Fiat, Chrysler, Ferrari, CNH and other companies, on the €275 million sale of one of its portfolio companies, Alpitour, the leading Italian tour operator.
- ABC-Mart, a publicly traded, Japanese shoe retailer, on its US$138 million cash tender offer for all of the outstanding equity of U.S.-based, publicly traded retailer LaCrosse Footwear.
- China Media Capital in establishing Oriental DreamWorks, a joint venture with DreamWorks Animation and one of the largest international investment projects in China.