Mergers and Acquisitions
"The customer service is very good: the team is responsive and thorough, and they know our company very well."
—Chambers USA 2011
"Paul Hastings impresses clients with its global coverage and ability to advise on virtually any industry."
—The Legal 500: United States 2010
Paul Hastings' approach to M&A reflects our belief that sound preparation and deal structuring are the best ways to help clients achieve success. Our experience on a wealth of successful transactions informs our belief that deep, interdisciplinary knowledge of our clients’ legal needs leads to the most appropriate legal advice and most positive outcomes. M&A transactions often raise time-sensitive and complex issues that can be expensive to resolve if handled ad hoc. We address issues as they arise by working with our colleagues in the tax, regulatory, antitrust, real estate, intellectual property, environment and employment law groups to identify and resolve transaction issues.
Our recent representations include the following:
- Samsung Electronics in the US$1.4 billion sale of its hard disk drive (HDD) business to Seagate Technology, a NASDAQ-listed manufacturer of HDD and storage solutions, and extending and enhancing the existing patent cross-license agreement between the companies. This transaction was awarded “M&A Deal of the Year 2011” by ASIAN-MENA COUNSEL.
- Ardea Biosciences, a San Diego, CA-based biotechnology company, in its $1.26 billion all-cash acquisition by AstraZeneca, a global integrated biopharmaceutical company based in the United Kingdom.
- Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. in its US$900 million acquisition of the Process and Construction business from Oslo-listed Aker Solutions ASA.
- Citigroup Inc. and its affiliates on the sale of Citi Property Investors, Citigroup's global real estate investment management platform, to an affiliate of Apollo Global Management.
We offer our clients comprehensive legal counseling across the entire spectrum of domestic and international M&A transactions, working with you to identify the right mix of resources, including assistance with due diligence, structuring, contractual arrangements, legal and tax strategies, IP, employment and alliance and leasing relationships.
Paul Hastings is a leading international M&A firm, and our lawyers work with listed and private clients in key markets around the world on the full range of mergers, acquisitions, dispositions and joint ventures. We handle domestic, cross-border and international transactions, representing buyers, sellers, financial advisors, special committees, financing sources and other interested parties. Our experience in the developed and developing world includes privately negotiated purchases and bids under privatization programs as well as acquisitions and joint ventures.
Our experience covers:
- Public and private mergers
- Stock and asset purchases
- Private-equity sponsored investments and leveraged buyouts
- Strategic investments and joint ventures
- Restructurings, recapitalizations and workouts
- Cross-border transactions
- Tender offers
- Going private transactions
- Proxy contests
- Divestitures and spin-offs