Chicago, San Francisco, and New York — Paul Hastings LLP, a leading global law firm, announced today it has added a three-member team, spanning three offices, to the firm’s Intellectual Property practice. Robert Laurenzi joins as of counsel in New York; Michelle Marek Figueiredo joins as a senior associate in Chicago; and Marisa Williams joins as a senior associate in San Francisco. The team was previously with Arnold & Porter.
These three additions to the firm’s IP Litigation practice follow partner Robert Unikel, who joined the firm last month in Chicago.
“Together with Robert Unikel, the addition of Robert Laurenzi, Michelle Marek Figueiredo, and Marisa Williams to our practice further bolsters our expertise in patent litigation covering computer hardware and software, internet and telecommunications technologies,” said Yar Chaikovsky, co-chair of the Intellectual Property practice at Paul Hastings. “We are pleased to add this group to our nationally recognized IP practice.”
With more than two decades of experience, Robert Laurenzi’s practice focuses on patent litigation involving computer, internet, and telecommunication technologies. In addition to litigation in U.S. District Courts around the country, Laurenzi has been lead counsel on several inter partes review and covered business method review proceedings at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board.
“I’m thrilled to reunite with my colleague, Robert Unikel, and join Paul Hastings,” said Laurenzi. “The firm has an outstanding track record of success, combining strong technology IP expertise with a powerhouse Patent Office practice.”
Michelle Marek Figueiredo brings a patent litigation, trade secrets, and trademark practice, with experience involving trading software, office products, aftermarket brake parts and electrical connectors, among other products and technologies. Marisa Williams’ practice covers a broad range of technology in software and life sciences.
The Paul Hastings Intellectual Property practice regularly receives industry honors, including:
- The firm was named American Lawyer’s 2018 Transatlantic IP Team of the Year.
- The firm was nationally ranked in the 2018 edition of Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars in Patent Contentious, PTAB Litigation, and Life Sciences.
- The firm received top rankings, and 15 partners were recognized in the 2018 edition of IAM Patent 1000.
- Yar Chaikovsky was named by Law360 as a Technology MVP for high-profile patent wins on behalf of Trend Micro and HTC.
- Joseph O’Malley was named an Intellectual Property Trailblazer by the National Law Journal for his work on behalf of Helsinn Healthcare.
- The Daily Journal named Yar Chaikovsky and Chris Kennerly to its list of Top IP Lawyers in California.
- In 2017, the firm was named one of Law360’s Life Sciences Practice Groups of the Year.
- Patexia, Inc. recognized Naveen Modi as the most active attorney representing petitioners and patent owners in inter partes review (IPR) proceedings at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, noting that Modi's workload of 240 cases is the most among the 5,000 attorneys who have worked on IPRs since 2012.
At Paul Hastings, our purpose is clear — to help our clients and people navigate new paths to growth. With a strong presence throughout Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the U.S., Paul Hastings is recognized as one of the world’s most innovative global law firms.