Palo Alto – Yar Chaikovsky, global co-chair of the Paul Hastings Intellectual Property practice, has been named one of Law360’s 2018 Appellate MVPs. Law360 received more than 1,000 submissions for the annual MVP awards, with the winners selected on the basis of their “successes in high-stakes litigation, record-breaking deals and complex global matters.” This is the second consecutive year Chaikovsky has been named a Law360 MVP after receiving that distinction in the Technology category in 2017.
Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property litigators have now been recognized as Law360 MVPs in five consecutive years:
2018: Yar Chaikovsky (Appellate)
2017: Yar Chaikovsky (Technology)
2016: Joseph O’Malley (Intellectual Property)
2015: Naveen Modi (Intellectual Property)
2014: Joseph O’Malley (Life Sciences)
Yar Chaikovsky was recognized as an Appellate MVP for wins on the district court level and on appeal at the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, having successfully represented Yahoo and Twitter, resulting in a Rule 36 judgment at the Federal Circuit on claim construction and attorney’s fees. Chaikovsky was also noted for wins on behalf of HTC and Trend Micro, where the Federal Circuit affirmed district courts’ invalidation of patents asserted against both companies.
Earlier this year, Chaikovsky was noted as American Lawyer’s “Litigator of the Week,” after a Delaware judge ordered Intellectual Ventures to reimburse Trend Micro for its attorney’s fees, the latest chapter in eight years of patent litigation in the matter.
The Daily Journal named Chaikovsky one of the Top Intellectual Property lawyers in California, and he has been regularly recognized by Chambers, The Legal 500, Benchmark Litigation, IAM Patent 1000, and Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars.
The Paul Hastings Intellectual Property practice regularly receives industry honors, including:
- The firm was named American Lawyer’s 2018 Transatlantic IP Team of the Year.
- The firm was nationally ranked in the 2018 edition of Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars in Patent Contentious, PTAB Litigation, and Life Sciences.
- The firm received top rankings, and 15 partners were recognized in the 2018 edition of IAM Patent 1000.
- Joseph O’Malley was named an Intellectual Property Trailblazer by the National Law Journal for his work on behalf of Helsinn Healthcare.
- In 2018, the firm was named one of Law360’s Life Sciences Practice Groups of the Year.
- Patexia, Inc. recognized Naveen Modi as the most active attorney representing petitioners and patent owners in inter partes review (IPR) proceedings at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, noting that Modi's workload of 240 cases is the most among the 5,000 attorneys who have worked on IPRs since 2012.
At Paul Hastings, our purpose is clear — to help our clients and people navigate new paths to growth. With a strong presence throughout Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the U.S., Paul Hastings is recognized as one of the world’s most innovative global law firms.