New York – Paul Hastings LLP, a leading global law firm, announced today that the firm’s Intellectual Property practice was honored at the 2018 LMG Life Sciences Awards as the Hatch-Waxman Litigation Firm of the Year - Branded.
For Hatch-Waxman Litigation Firm of the Year, LMG Life Sciences cited the firm for wins on behalf of Sunovion Pharmaceuticals, which locked in compound patent protection for Latuda®, the company’s billion-dollar-plus-per-year schizophrenia and bipolar drug, after a judgment of infringement that was affirmed by the Federal Circuit; and for Orexigen Therapeutics after a trial victory where the judge found all three patents-in-suit to be valid and infringed. The firm was also noted for obtaining an unprecedented six walk-away consent judgments in a major pharmaceutical litigation.
The firm was also shortlisted in the following categories:
- General Patent Litigator of the Year – New York: Bruce Wexler
- Post Grant Proceedings Attorney of the Year: Naveen Modi
- Inter-Partes Review Firm of the Year
The ceremony took place on September 12 in New York City to celebrate the annual LMG Life Sciences Awards, which recognized this year’s top firms and legal professionals operating in the life sciences market. The awards were based on the research conducted for the 2018 edition of LMG Life Sciences, and categories corresponded to the four main practice areas detailed in the publication.
At Paul Hastings, the Life Sciences IP Patent practice is comprised of more than 45 lawyers and scientific advisors, exclusively dedicated to patent litigation on behalf of innovator life sciences companies. Recognition from LMG Life Sciences follows many accolades for the firm’s Life Sciences IP practice, including:
- The firm was named American Lawyer’s 2018 Transatlantic IP Team of the Year.
- The firm was nationally ranked by Managing Intellectual Property in Patent Contentious, PTAB Litigation, and Life Sciences.
- The firm received top-tiered nationwide rankings from IAM Patent 1000 in the United States, Japan, and South Korea.
- Isaac Ashkenazi was named a Life Sciences Rising Star by Law360.
- Joseph O’Malley was named an Intellectual Property Trailblazer by the National Law Journal for his work on behalf of Helsinn Healthcare.
- In 2017, the firm was named one of Law360’s Life Sciences Practice Groups of the Year.
- Patexia, Inc. recognized Naveen Modi as the most active attorney representing petitioners and patent owners in inter partes review (IPR) proceedings at the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, noting that Modi's workload of 240 cases is the most among the 5,000 attorneys who have worked on IPRs since 2012.
At Paul Hastings, our purpose is clear — to help our clients and people navigate new paths to growth. With a strong presence throughout Asia, Europe, Latin America, and the U.S., Paul Hastings is recognized as one of the world’s most innovative global law firms.