is of counsel in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's New York office. Mr. Kaplan’s practice focuses primarily on corporate bankruptcy and restructuring matters, where he represents debtors, unsecured and secured creditors, investors, and other parties. He also has extensive experience in general commercial litigation and general corporate matters.
- Mr. Kaplan has represented multiple customers in the proceedings under the Securities Investor Protection Act (SIPA) of Lehman Brothers Inc. and Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC; Oneida Ltd., Penzance Cascades North, LLC, Applied Extrusion Technologies, Inc. and Pillowtex Corporation in their chapter 11 cases;
- Delphi Corporation in the pre-bankruptcy planning and early stages of its chapter 11 case;
- Garrison Investment Group in connection with its purchase of six regional shopping malls out of bankruptcy;
- Compania de Alimentos Fargo, S.A. in its involuntary chapter 11 case; unsecured creditors in the chapter 11 cases of Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., Sea Containers Ltd., Chemtura Corporation, Dura Automotive Systems, Inc. and Salander O’Reilly Galleries;
- multiple unsecured creditors in the chapter 15 case of Grand Prix Associates Inc.;
- the largest secured creditor in the chapter 11 case of CFM US Corporation;
- the prepetition and DIP agent in the chapter 11 case of Friendly Ice Cream Corporation;
- the claims agent in preference actions brought in the chapter 11 case of AbitibiBowater Inc.;
- the term lenders in the chapter 11 case of Eddie Bauer Holdings, Inc.;
- the U.K. administrators in Federal Mogul’s chapter 11 case;
- and an ad hoc committee of second lien lenders in the out-of-court restructuring of a mid-market emissions testing company.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Written and lectured for many organizations, including the New York Law Journal and the Euromoney Global Insolvency and Restructuring Yearbook
- Columbia University School of Law, J.D.
- Columbia Business School, M.B.A.
- Vassar College, B.A.