Antonio Azzarà is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Milan office. Mr. Azzarà focuses his practice on matters of Italian corporate law. He has been actively involved in a number of mergers and acquisitions, restructurings and capital markets transactions for major Italian and international clients. He has advised both corporate and institutional clients on most of the M&A and restructuring transaction of Paul Hastings Milan.
Mr. Azzarà has significant experience in the corporate practice and has worked on matters involving cross-border acquisitions, including major acquisitions in the context of distressed companies.
- Represented Snam as counsel and co-counsel to a consortium comprised of Snam, Government of Singapore Investment Corp., the Singaporean sovereign fund (GIC), and French state-owned utility EdF on its €2.4 billion acquisition of Total's gas transportation and storage business called Transports Infrastructures Gaz France (TIGF), in France.
- Represented Italian listed company Exor (the holding company of Fiat, Fiat Industrial, Chrysler and several other major corporations) on the sale of one of its portfolio companies, Alpitour, the leading Italian and one of the major European tour operators with subsidiaries in various countries in Europe and outside of Europe. The transaction, one of the most significant M&A deals closed in 2012 in Italy, with a value of €225 million.
- Represented international hedge fund Strategic Value Partners in the investment in the Italian yacht manufacture Ferretti within the turnaround of the group.
- Represented Mackenzie Financial Corporation, Zenit Asset Management, and Skagen Funds in the €740 million sale of their shares in Italian-listed dairy products company Parmalat (15.3% of the company) to French multi-national dairy products corporation Lactalis.
- Represented Lucchini, a leading Italian diversified producer of steel, and advising it on the €1 billion restructuring of the company. In particular, advising the company in relation to the financing agreements with the banks and the negotiations with the shareholders.
- Advised an investment bank in connection with the restructuring of SEAT Pagine Gialle.
- Representing Unicredit in the negotiation of a debt restructuring agreement with an holding company of a leading Italian games manufacturer.
- Represented GE Capital, Unicredit and Banca Popolare di Novara in the restructuring of a loan granted to Redecam, a leading provider of filtration, gas treatment, equipment and services for the cement works as well as for incineration, steel and glass industries.
- Represented private equity fund Oaktree's portfolio company Conbipel, a leading Italian retail company operating in the fashion industry, in the legal procedures relating to the reorganization of its business through the rationalization of its financial structure to support a new business plan. This implied the investment of €20 million by the shareholder, the confirmation of long term credit lines for €112 million, and new credit lines from several financial institutions for €25 million.
Accolades and Recognitions
- Listed in Chambers Global and The Legal 500 among Italy’s leading lawyers in the corporate and restructuring sectors
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- University of Michigan Law School LL.M., 2000
- Cattolica S.C. University in Milan, Italy, 1995 (magna cum laude)