Carl R. Sanchez is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is the chair of the Global Mergers & Acquisitions practice. He is based in the firm’s San Diego office.
Mr. Sanchez’s practice is focused primarily in the area of mergers and acquisitions, where he represents public and private companies in a wide variety of merger and acquisition transactions, including stock acquisitions, divisional asset acquisitions and divestitures, tender offers, and share exchange offers, restructurings, dissolutions, going-private transactions, joint ventures, distressed company acquisitions, cross-border acquisitions, and other business combination transactions. He has represented companies in the technology, telecommunications, semiconductor, software, computer hardware, defense, entertainment, and financial services industries. Mr. Sanchez also counsels public and private companies on a wide range of issues including SEC reporting, corporate governance and financing activities.
Between 1988 and 1990, Mr. Sanchez was an auditor and consultant in Deloitte & Touche’s New York office, specializing in investment banking and broker-dealer activities. From 1980 to 1986, Mr. Sanchez served in the United States Air Force Intelligence Division as a Russian crypto-linguist, where he received numerous awards for his service, including the Air Force Commendation Medal.
- Marvel Entertainment in its US$4 billion sale of Marvel to The Walt Disney Company
- Dubai World in its US$5.1 billion investment in MGM MIRAGE pursuant to a public tender offer and joint venture
- Applied Micro Circuits Corporation in its US$4.5 billion acquisition of MMC Networks, Inc. in a negotiated one-step merger
- QUALCOMM Incorporated in the divestiture of its infrastructure division to Ericsson L.M. Telefonaktielbolaget and in the divestiture of its handset division to Kyocera International, and in QUALCOMM’s US$1 billion acquisition of Snaptrack, Inc.
- Bolthouse Farms in its US$1.2 billion leveraged buy-out by Madison Dearborn Partners
- Certain Rooney family members in the sale of their interests in the Pittsburgh Steelers NFL franchise in a transaction valued at US$800 million
- Micromuse, Inc. in its US$865 million acquisition by IBM
- Citigroup in its acquisition of the Diners Club Europe franchise of businesses in a transaction valued at over US$700 million
- Aurora Biosciences, Inc. in the sale of the company to Vertex Pharmaceuticals, Inc. for US$600 million in a reverse triangular merger.
Accolades and Recognitions
- Cited in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2012, 2011, 2010) in the area of Corporate/M&A
- Cited in The Best Lawyers in America (2011 edition)
- Voted 2009 Attorney of the Year in the area of Mergers and Acquisitions by the San Francisco Recorder
- Selected as one of the Best Lawyers in the area of Mergers and Acquisitions Law by San Diego Magazine (2009 edition)
- Cited as one of the leading mergers and acquisitions lawyers by The Legal 500 US (2007)
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Frequent lecturer on mergers and acquisitions topics
- Authored articles on mergers and acquisitions related issues
- J.D. from the University of California, Los Angeles School of Law in 1993
- B.B.A. in accounting from the University of Texas at San Antonio in 1988