S. Christian Platt is a partner in the Global Intellectual Property practice group and is based in Paul Hastings’ San Diego office. Mr. Platt is an experienced patent trial lawyer whose practice focuses on handling all aspects of complex intellectual property disputes, including patent infringement, trade secret and technology disputes. He has handled dozens of patent infringement matters and has tried multiple bench and jury trials.
Mr. Platt has represented some of the world’s largest technology companies in their most complex patent disputes involving, in many instances, more than a billion dollars in potential damages. He represents clients in a wide variety of technologies, including telecommunications, video games, computer hardware, computer software, networking technologies, biotechnology, and medical devices.
- Apple, Inc. in patent infringement litigation brought by Mirror Worlds in the Eastern District of Texas, Tyler Division. Following a jury trial, obtained a complete defense victory by obtaining judgment as a matter of law as to both non-infringement and damages, overturning what had been reported as the fourth largest patent damages award on record at the time.
- Konami Digital Entertainment Co., Ltd. and its U.S. subsidiary Konami Digital Entertainment, Inc. in patent litigation against Harmonix Music Systems, Inc., MTV Networks, Co., Viacom International, Inc. and Viacom Inc. relating to the highly popular “Rock Band” line of video games.
- Quanta Computer in multiple trials in patent infringement litigation in the Eastern District of Texas, Marshall Division, relating to optical disc technology.
- Artist Mark Patterson, creator of the "Surfing Madonna" glass mosaic and the non-profit Surfing Madonna Oceans Project on a pro bono basis in connection with his proposal to gift the internationally recognized mosaic to the City of Encinitas, California. Mr. Platt appeared before the Encinitas City Counsel and testified before the California State Assembly.
Accolades and Recognitions
- 2014 Southern California Super Lawyer, Super Lawyers Magazine
- 2011-2013 Top Attorney in Intellectual Property, San Diego Magazine
- 2013 IP Star in California, Managing Intellectual Property
- 2012 Southern California's Top Rated Lawyers, ALM Media/Los Angeles Times
- 2011 Burton Award for Distinguished Legal Writing
- 2007-2011, Semi-Finalist for Top Attorney in Intellectual Property, San Diego Daily Transcript
- Recognized in Legal 500 United States: Full Coverage - Patent Litigation, noting that clients describe him as “very professional” who does “a great job presenting [a] case”
- AV® Preeminent™-Rated in Intellectual Property, Patents and Litigation, Martindale-Hubbell
- State Bar of California’s 2009 Wiley W. Manuel Award for Pro Bono Legal Services
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Panelist, "Recent Developments regarding Patent Damages," AIPLA Annual Meeting, 2013
- Speaker, "How to Prove Damages in Patent, Trademark and Copyright Cases," Knowledge Conference CLE, 2013
- Speaker, “Subject Matter Patentability and the Biotech Industry,” AIPLA Mid-Winter Institute, 2011
- “Proving Patent Damages after Uniloc,” Proof: ABA Trial Evidence Committee Newsletter, 2011
- "Obtaining Preliminary Injunctions in Open-Source Cases," ABA Intellectual Property Litigation Committee Newsletter, 2011
- “The Rise of False Patent Marking Suits,” Patent, Trademark and Copyright Journal (BNA), 2010
- Selected by the editorial board of Inside the Minds as a leader in intellectual property life sciences law, Mr. Platt contributed to the book “Inside the Minds: Life Sciences Client Strategies” (Aspatore books 2007). His chapter in the book is entitled “Maximizing the Value of Your Life Sciences Intellectual Property.”
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 1998. Texas International Law Journal, member
- University of Texas at Austin, B.S., 1995 (Graduating with honors in Biochemistry)
- University of Texas at Austin, B.S., 1995 (Graduating with honors in Biology (Molecular))