Jeffrey Allmon is an associate in the Environmental practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Washington, D.C., office.
Mr. Allmon counsels businesses in all aspects of federal, state, and local regulatory compliance, with a focus on air permitting and compliance issues. He also participates in corporate and real estate transactions by conducting environmental due diligence, addressing regulatory issues, and negotiating contractual language.
While attending VLS, Mr. Allmon spent one semester as a full-time judicial intern at the United States District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Provided counsel regarding procedures for major-source permitting compliance, procedural, and substantive issues related to the Acid Rain Program, and compliance with tradable permitting regimes
- Assisted nuclear and renewable energy clients with securing federal loan guarantees involving compliance with the National Environmental Policy Act
- Contributed to the preparation of four environmental reports for the Department of Energy on behalf of clients seeking federal financial assistance
- Assisted a client in the solar energy industry with significantly reducing NEPA compliance obligations for the award of a DOE loan guarantee
- Worked with the Paul Hastings Washington Environmental Team to handle all environmental regulatory aspects of a Department of Justice-mandated asset divestiture in the solid waste industry
- Assisted a wind turbine manufacturer in assessing the environmental liabilities associated with a construction loan for a wind energy development
- Advised national solid waste management companies participating within EPA regulatory proceedings on the GHG Reporting and PSD Tailoring rules, preparing SEC filings in connection with GHG regulation, and developing electronic waste management programs
- Counseled oil and gas exploration and development companies, auto manufacturers, and biofuel companies regarding EPA regulatory proceedings governing geologic sequestration of carbon emissions, issuance of geologic sequestration tax credits, and renewable fuels
- Counseled auto manufacturers and biofuel refining and development companies regarding EPA regulatory proceedings concerning renewable fuels registrations
- Represented telecommunications providers and manufacturing companies within judicial proceedings and in response to administrative enforcement actions concerning CERCLA liability for soil and groundwater contamination
- Advised financial institutions, investment entities, and strategic buyers and sellers on land-use, environmental compliance, and property contamination issues in connection with lending to, or the sale or acquisition of, industrial operations (including power generation, chemical manufacturing, petroleum refining, solid waste disposal, and heavy manufacturing), which involve extensive site remediation, conventional, hazardous, and GHG air emissions, hazardous waste management, chemical storage, and waste/stormwater discharges
- Advised private equity groups and financial institutions on environmental liabilities arising from distressed asset acquisitions and lending, which involve diversified property portfolios containing brownfield redevelopments and other heavily-contaminated properties
- Assisted large-scale financial institutions and commercial businesses with Clean Air Act compliance issues in connection with state permitting, NSPS, and NESHAP
- Assisted manufacturing companies and non-profit charitable organizations with site remediation and redevelopment following property contamination
- Advised financial institutions and project development companies on the environmental aspects of renewable energy developments (including solar, wind, and biomass), with particular emphasis on land-use, renewable portfolio standards, regulatory compliance (particularly as to impacts to public lands, wetlands, migratory birds, and endangered species), and real property property conditions
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Co-authored several professional articles on environmental securities disclosure, regional climate change regulations, and NEPA analysis for recently-passed federal economic stimulus legislation.
- Contributing Author for a comprehensive treatise covering all aspects of emerging regulation of greenhouse gases.
- Associate Articles Editor and Production Coordinator of the Vermont Law Review
- Guest lecturer for George Washington University Law School courses covering environmental issues in business transactions
- Lecturer for Environmental Law Institute Summer School faculty, Clean Land: Hazardous Waste and Sites sessions
- Vermont Law School, J.D. magna cum laude, 2007
- Vermont Law School, M.S.E.L. magna cum laude, 2007
- University of Kansas, B.A., with Honors 2003