Michael Lindsey is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He concentrates his practice in the fields of intellectual property, cyberlaw, and trade regulation. His intellectual property practice involves the acquisition, development, protection, and licensing of various forms of intellectual property.
In the cyberlaw area, Mr. Lindsey represents diverse clients on matters ranging from domain name disputes to e commerce structuring, new media development, co-branding, alliance, and other marketing arrangements. His practice in the trade regulation area involves antitrust preventive counseling; franchise planning, disclosure, registration, and relationship matters; and advice concerning the sale, distribution, and marketing of products and services, including manufacturing, joint venture, distribution, dealership, and agency agreements. His technology-oriented transactional practice focuses on mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, and other teaming arrangements in the U.S. and abroad.
Accolades and Recognitions
- Recognized by Chambers Global, Chambers USA, and Super Lawyers
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Who’s Who Legal, the International Who's Who of Franchise Lawyers, Guide to the World’s Leading Competition and Antitrust Lawyers and as a Franchise Times Legal Eagle.
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Co-author of Antitrust Handbook for Franchise and Distribution Practitioners (ABA 2008), The Intellectual Property Handbook: A Practical Guide for Franchise, Business and IP Counsel (ABA 2005), Annual Franchise and Distribution Law Developments 2003 (ABA 2003) and International Sales Transaction Checklist (IBA 2003).
- Served as Co-Editor-in-Chief of the treatise State Antitrust Law and Statutes (ABA 2d ed. 1999); and as Editor-in-Chief of the monograph Franchise Protection: Laws Against Termination and Establishment of Additional Franchises (ABA 1990).
- Authored or co-authored a number of legal articles, including articles in Antitrust Magazine, Antitrust Counselor, Business Law International, Business & Technology Law Report, California Lawyer, Computer & Internet Lawyer, Franchising World, International Bar News, International Business Lawyer, The Los Angeles Daily Journal, and other legal and business publications
- Speaks regularly before bar and business organizations on topics of intellectual property, electronic commerce, antitrust law, franchising, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and other subjects in his practice area
- Interviewed by various media and cited by an appellate court for his e-commerce work
- Stanford Law School, J.D., 1976
- Texas A&M University College Station, B.S., 1973 (summa cum laude)