Nathaniel Edmonds is a partner in the Litigation Department of Paul Hastings based in the firm’s Washington, D.C. office. As a former Assistant Chief of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) Unit of the Fraud Section in the Criminal Division of the Department of Justice (DOJ), Mr. Edmonds assisted in the supervision of all FCPA cases in the United States and oversaw the investigation and prosecution of companies, business executives, and others for making improper payments to foreign officials in international business transactions. Mr. Edmonds also assisted in the drafting of A Resource Guide to the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, published in November 2012 by the DOJ and the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), available at http://www.justice.gov/criminal/fraud/fcpa/guide.pdf.
Mr. Edmonds advises companies on regulatory compliance matters around the world, including FCPA and anticorruption investigations, risk assessments and due diligence, as well as developing and overseeing anticorruption compliance programs. Mr. Edmonds also assists companies in determining the scope of potential liability stemming from improper payments and how to best respond to potential enforcement actions by U.S. and foreign law enforcement authorities.
During his nearly ten years as a federal white collar prosecutor, Mr. Edmonds handled numerous complex economic criminal investigations and jury trials, including the FCPA and export control-related conviction of a major aerospace and defense contractor, the fraud and domestic corruption matters associated with lobbyist Jack Abramoff, and various accounting and securities fraud matters. During his tenure at the Department of Justice, Mr. Edmonds worked with prosecutors, law enforcement and regulators from six continents on corruption matters, including with the UK’s Serious Fraud Office and as a member of the U.S.-China Joint Liaison Group’s Anti-Corruption Working Group.
Accolades and Recognitions
- Recognized by the U.S. Department of Justice for his investigation and trial successes, including:
- The 2011 Attorney General’s Award for Distinguished Service
related to the investigation and trial convictions in a fraud
and domestic corruption matter.
- The 2010 Attorney General’s Award for Fraud Prevention for
his leadership in the investigation and conviction of a major
international defense contractor for FCPA-related offenses.
- Named by Ethisphere as one of the 2012 FCPA Attorneys that Matter (“Government Stars”)
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- October 2013 (Washington, DC) Pharmaceutical Compliance Forum's 14th Annual Pharmaceutical Regulatory and Compliance Congress
- October 2013 (Alexandria, VA) International Forum on Business Ethical Conduct (IFBEC)'s Annual Meeting, Operating in a Global Environment: Business Aspects
- October 2013 (Washington, DC) International Law Institute's Governance and Anticorruption Methods
- October 2013 (Washington, DC) Sandpiper Partners' Fraud, Anti-Corruption, FCPA & Whistleblowers: Latest Developments - Enforcement with Teeth
- October 2013 (Atlanta, GA) State Bar of Georgia's 20th Annual Securities Litigation and Regulatory Seminar
- September 2013 (Washington, DC) American Bar Association's FCPA National Institute
- September 2013 (Washington, DC) U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's FCPA Boot Camp - Trends in International Corruption
- September 2013 (Houston, TX) Momentum's Oil and Gas Anti-Corruption and Compliance Congress
- June 2013 (Chicago, IL) American Conference Institute's FCPA Boot Camp
- June 2013 (Atlanta, GA) Institute of Continuing Legal Education in Georgia, International Business Crimes: Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, Criminal Antitrust and Export Controls
- June 2013 (Las Vegas, NV) SEC Hot Topics Institute
- May 2013 (New York, NY) American Conference Institute's FCPA and Anti-Corruption for the Life Sciences Industry
- May 2013 (Seoul, Korea) Asian Century Forum
- April 2013 (Washington, DC) Moderator, Internal Investigations panel, ABA National Institute on Internal Corporate Investigations
- April 2013 (Washington, DC) PwC’s Annual Securities Litigation & Enforcement 2013 Update
- March 2013 (Washington, DC) “Representing Clients in Cross-Border Investigations,” (Edward Bennett Williams Inn of Court)
- February 2013 (Washington, DC) Foreign Bribery Training Conference for Prosecutors and Investigators, “Multi-Jurisdictional Enforcement” and conference moderator for U.S. government sponsored three-day seminar for 130 prosecutors, regulators and law enforcement from 30 countries
- November 2012 (Washington, DC) National Conference on the FCPA “Friend or Foe?: A Dissection of a Monitorship from Start to Finish” (ACI)
- June 2012 (Washington, DC) The DC Bar Association, “The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: A Statute Drawing Keen Interest”
- May 2012 (Kazan, Russian Federation) Asia Pacific Economic Cooperation Anti Corruption and Transparency Working Group, “Anticorruption Enforcement and Multijurisdictional Cooperation”
- January 2012 (Houston, TX) FCPA Boot Camp, “Enforcement Highlights and What the Latest Cases Reveal About Compliance Risk Exposure” (ACI)
- November 2011 (Washington, DC) National Conference on the FCPA, “FCPA CASE REVIEW: A Hands-on Look at the 2011 FCPA Cases and What to Take Away” (ACI)
- November 2011 (Washington, DC) Twelfth Annual Pharmaceutical Regulatory and Compliance Congress and Best Practices Forum, “FCPA and UK Bribery Act Enforcement and Compliance Update” (The Pharmaceutical Compliance Forum)
- June 2011 (Washington, DC), ViewPoints For the Audit Committee Leadership Summit, “Bribery and Corruption Risks” (Tapestry Networks)
- May 2011 (Washington, DC), “Enforcement of The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act: A Dialogue with Regulators” (Conference Board Webinar)
- February 2011 (Washington, DC) American Bar Association International Law Spring 2011 Meeting “China's Litigation, Judiciary & Enforcement: Fact or Fiction Panel”
- December 2010 (Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates) Abu Dhabi Summit on Anticorruption: Implementing Effective Corporate Governance, Anti-Bribery and FCPA Compliance Programs in the Middle East, “FCPA Enforcement Priorities and How Cases are Coordinated Abroad” (ACI)
- November 2010 (Washington, DC) National Conference on the FCPA, “How to Represent Individuals in FCPA Investigations” (ACI)
- September 2010 (Singapore) Anticorruption South and Southeast Asia Summit, “Keynote Address: Explaining the Priorities of the DOJ and SEC” (Beacon)
- June 2010 (Shanghai, China), 3rd China Summit on Anti-Corruption, “FCPA Enforcement Priorities at U.S. DOJ” (ACI)
- May 2010 (Beijing, China) “Briefing on the FCPA” (U.S.-China Business Council and the American Chamber of Commerce in China)
- University of Chicago, J.D. (cum laude); Order of the Coif
- Princeton University, A.B.