is a partner in the Employment Law Department of Paul Hastings. His practice focuses on leading large and complex litigation matters in state and federal courts, in cases involving all aspects of employment law, including wage-hour, wrongful termination, breach of contract, trade secrets, discrimination, harassment and retaliation. He is an experienced trial attorney and has tried more than 20 cases to verdict and more than 60 administrative hearings. He also provides business and strategic advice for a broad array of companies relating to their employment practices and helps build employment and pay systems in a way designed to minimize legal risk.
- Trial victory for General Electric in age discrimination and retaliation lawsuit
- Prevailed on summary judgment for Waddell & Reed in putative nationwide wage-hour class action challenging company’s classification of registered representatives as independent contractors
- Successfully represented First Investors and Bank of America in wage-hour class actions challenging classification of financial advisors
- Obtained defendant’s verdict for Sempra Energy Trading in sex discrimination, harassment, and retaliation lawsuit
- Achieved complete dismissal of DLSE penalty citation and stop-work order issued against BAPS Development during the construction of an extensive cultural center
- Secured defense verdict for Prudential Realty in Title VII discrimination and retaliation lawsuit
- Obtained numerous summary judgments in federal and state courts on individual plaintiff cases asserting various forms of discrimination and wrongful termination
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Editor-in-Chief of Matthew Bender’s California Employers’ Guide to Employee Handbooks and Personnel Policy Manuals
- Author of the wage-and-hour section of California Labor & Employment Bulletin
- Frequent writer for prominent trade publications and frequent speaker on litigation and employment matters before the American Bar Association, the Practicing Law Institute, the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, the Association of Corporate Counsel, and state bar associations.
- Recent publications include, Employee or Independent Contractor: How to Preserve Independent Contractor Status in an Increasingly Hostile Environment (ACC Docket); Employment Class Actions Plague Pharmaceutical Industry (Pharmaceutical Law Insight); Workplace Restructurings: Avoiding Costly Wage and Hour Mistakes (Bloomberg Labor & Employment Report)
- Albany Law School of Union University, J.D. (cum laude), 1995
- Binghamton University, B.A., 1992