Steven Park is a partner in the Global Intellectual Property practice and the chair of the Paul Hastings Atlanta office.
He has been nationally recognized as a leading trial lawyer by noted publications, including Law 360 as a patent “MVP” and Chambers USA for his “ability to take complicated technical material and simplify it into understandable and persuasive arguments.” The Legal 500 refers to him as “a talented, knowledgeable lawyer who possesses the mix of technical expertise and legal acumen that delivers results.” And the IAM Patent 1000 report recognizes him as “a brilliant lawyer with a dynamic global portfolio ... [whose] knowledge of the Asian market is unbeatable.” He was also named a BTI Client Service All-Star for “delivering the absolute best client service.”
Mr. Park’s practice is focused on patent litigation, patent licensing, and client counseling, primarily centered on wireless communications, semiconductors, medical device, and smartphone technologies, for both global industry leaders and emerging, innovative businesses. He is often brought into ongoing cases in order to evaluate trial positions, frequently serving as opposing counsel in mock jury trials.
He has handled large, complex litigations before U.S. District Courts and the U.S. International Trade Commission, including first chairing suits in the District of Delaware, Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas, Northern and Southern Districts of California, Middle District of Florida, Northern District of Georgia, U.S. Patent Office, and at the ITC. He also has extensive patent licensing experience, successfully concluding multi-billion-dollar cross-license negotiations between multi-national corporations, and negotiating and drafting complex, cross-border license agreements. Mr. Park also counsels clients on all aspects of patent portfolio management and global enforcement strategy.
- Attained complete victory for a major smartphone manufacturer in an ITC investigation regarding digital camera technology
- Obtained judgment as a matter of law in a significant infringement suit involving wireless messaging services
- Obtained advantageous settlement for a major smartphone manufacturer in an ITC investigation regarding Smartphone design and graphical user interfaces
- Successfully argued a patent interference matter relating to electronic messaging systems
- Obtained a complete victory for a large medical device company regarding cryogenic ablation technology
- Obtained summary judgment in a case involving bar code technology for a major shipping company
- Successfully defended a manufacturer in a patent infringement action involving video compression
- Defended major flash memory manufacturer against allegations of patent infringement and willfulness, obtaining a positive claim construction ruling that resulted in a favorable settlement
- Successfully represented a wireless communications corporation in enforcing and defending Lanham Act claims regarding the essentiality of over 400 patents to the 3GPP Standard
Accolades and Recognitions
- Chambers USA, Intellectual Property: Georgia
- Law360's "2012 MVP”
- "Client Service All-Star," BTI Consulting, Inc.
- The Legal 500
- IAM Patent 1000
Speaking Engagements and Publications
- Extensively lectured and written on intellectual property issues both domestically and internationally
- University of Georgia School of Law, J.D., 1999 (cum laude)
- Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S.E.E., 1996 (with highest honor)