PAUL HASTINGS DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP AWARD
Paul Hastings is committed to building a diverse team of professionals and fostering an inclusive work environment. As part of that commitment, we are pleased to offer the Paul Hastings Diversity Scholarship Award to select first or second-year law students.
Recipients of the Paul Hastings Diversity Scholarship Award will receive a paid 1L and/or 2L summer associate position and a $10,000 scholarship to be distributed as follows: $5,000 will be awarded upon joining our summer program; $5,000 will be awarded upon joining the firm as a full-time associate following graduation from law school.
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION PROCESS
We welcome applications from all 1L and 2L law students who:
- Are enrolled full-time at an ABA-accredited law school
- Demonstrate a commitment to promoting diversity and contributing to the firm’s diversity goals as a result of background, experience, personal attributes or characteristics
- Apply and receive an offer to join the Paul Hastings summer program in one of our U.S. offices
- Are likely to practice after graduation in one of our U.S. offices
- 1L applicants must submit a completed application by February 1, of their 1L year
- 2L applicants must submit a completed application by September 1, of their 2L year
- Will not be the recipient of a diversity award from another law firm paid between January 1, 2017 and August 31, 2017
Recipients will be selected based on the following factors:
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity and contributing to the firm’s diversity goals
- Undergraduate and law school academic performance
- Personal achievement
- Demonstrated leadership ability
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Community service
- Commitment to succeed as a lawyer in a large, private practice environment
- Personal statement
To apply, candidates must submit the following: (1) a cover letter indicating the office to which they are applying, (2) a resume, (3) undergraduate and law school transcripts, and (4) a personal statement of 500 words or less addressing the following topics: (a) your commitment to work in a particular practice area and to the city where the Paul Hastings office you are applying to work is located, and (b) how you would contribute to building a diverse work environment if you were to join Paul Hastings following graduation from law school.
Please send your cover letter, resume, transcripts, and personal statement to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2016 DIVERSITY SCHOLARSHIP AWARD WINNERS
We are pleased to announce the 2016 Paul Hastings Diversity Scholarship Award winners: Tashiana Hudson and Nancy Zambrana.
Tashiana Hudson is a 2L student at Yale Law School. She grew up in Southern California. Tashiana attended Howard University, where she graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a dual major in English and Political Science and a minor in Business Administration. Tashiana is an active member of several affinity groups on campus at Yale and serves as the Diversity and Inclusion Chair of Yale Law Women. Tashiana will be joining the Los Angeles office as a 2016 Summer Associate.
Nancy Zambrana is a 2L student at the University of Pennsylvania Law School. She was born in Cairo and grew up in New York City. Nancy graduated summa cum laude from Queens College, City University of New York, with a dual major in Psychology and Sociology and a minor in Women’s Studies. While in college, she created a program to promote community service and leadership development on campus. After college and before starting law school, Nancy worked for several years as a paralegal in New York. Nancy will be a 2016 Summer Associate in the New York office.
Please join us in congratulating Tashiana and Nancy on this recognition of their achievements and commitment to promoting diversity. Click here to see what our former Diversity Scholarship Award winners have to say about their experience as Summer Associates.