At Paul Hastings, we are dedicated to the development and growth of our lawyers, and we are committed to providing the resources necessary for success. Our efforts are guided by our Talent Development department, which continues to enhance our extensive training and career development programs for our lawyers.
By choosing Paul Hastings, you will be working alongside some of the world’s top legal professionals. We are a respected global leader and provide a wide range of professional development services including legal training, integration opportunities, career development, and performance management.
Our Talent Development department works with the firm’s practice area leaders to provide over 950 Continuing Legal Education (CLE) and Continuing Professional Development (CPD) accredited training programs on a wide variety of basic and complex legal topics.
- Talent Development Office Visits - Firm management regularly meets with associates across the firm. These informal, face-to-face visits provide more meaningful communications between associates and management.
- PH DNA (Paul Hastings Developing New Associates) - This program introduces first-year associates to the firm by communicating the firm’s vision and strategic direction, outlining department-specific goals and structures, increasing associate skills in delivering excellent legal services, and establishing professional relationships across offices and departments.
- Mid-level Retreat - This program for fourth-year associates focuses on communicating firm and department business strategies and linking those strategies to associate development and advancement. It is designed to provide associates with a greater understanding of the paths to partnership and alternative career options, individual career development plans, and how to distinguish themselves. The program also provides fourth-year associates with opportunities to meet their career goals.
- Associate Business Development Program - This multi-faceted, interactive program is designed to improve mid-level and senior associates' skills in developing and managing new and existing client relationships. It includes a full day of substantive training, coaching group meetings lead by a partner, a learning assignment, and the creation of an individual business development plan.
- Academies - These global, year-long training programs offer in-depth learning on core practice-specific concepts and processes. Academies are available in all our practice areas for associates and partners, as well as clients.
- Legal Off-site Training Programs - Some examples of our legal off-site training programs include the Deposition Skills, Law & Motion, and Trial Advocacy programs for Employment Law and Litigation associates. Additionally, the Europe Associate Retreat and the Asia Lawyers’ Retreat provide both general and legal substantive training to associates in these regions.
- Associate International Exchange Program - This is a special placement for select third- to fifth-year associates that focuses on enhancing international lawyering skills and acumen.
- New and Lateral Partner Integration Program - Lateral partners are supported through a global platform to ensure a smooth transition, streamline communications, provide leadership opportunities, and optimize partner networks.
- Career Coaching Services - Our career development services include assessing your skills, helping you to draft a personal career development plan, assisting you in seeking additional opportunities for growth and mentorship, and guiding you in the development of a networking strategy.
- In-house Counsel Job Opportunities - We offer an online system that serves as a clearinghouse for in-house counsel and other legal positions, and allows associates to confidentially search potential opportunities.
We continually enhance and improve the performance management process for our lawyers. Associates are given valuable performance feedback aligned with individual professional development goals not only during the annual review period, but frequently throughout the year.