Claire Melvin is an associate in the Energy and Infrastructure practice at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. She focuses on finance and development of infrastructure assets primarily in the power, renewables and sustainable development sectors in the U.S. and Latin America. She regularly represents lenders, sponsors, and other financial institutions in a broad range of infrastructure, energy and other financings.
- Washington University in St. Louis, J.D., cum laude
- University of Illinois, B.A.
- Lead arrangers, BNP Paribas and Crédit Agricole CIB, on a holdco term loan facility and revolving facility for an approximately 170 MW portfolio of geothermal and solar projects located in California, Nevada and Utah owned by Cyrq Energy
- Lead arrangers in a financing for the Los Alamitos microgrid project with a Power Purchase Agreement with a California utility. Project included a microgrid, comprised of approximately 31MWdc of photovoltaic solar, a 20MW/40MWh (two-hour duration) battery energy storage system and 3.125 MW reciprocating engine gensets
- BNP Paribas as administrative agent, lender and revolving facility issuing bank, and ING Capital, SMBC, Crédit Agricole, CIT Bank and Associated Bank as lenders on the financing of a portfolio of 25 solar projects with a total installed capacity of approximately 365 MWac, acquired by LS Power from Public Service Enterprise Group Incorporated (PSEG) and located across the United States
- Lenders and BNP Paribas as administrative agent on the $210 million term facility and a $20 million revolving facility in connection with the acquisition of the Yards Creek Hydroelectric Generating Station
- Designated investor counsel for a private placement for the Northfield Mountain hydro project owned by FirstLight Power
- Lenders on the financing of the construction and operation of three biomass power plants with a combined total capacity of approximately 160 MW located in North Carolina and Georgia owned by Georgia Renewable Power
- Citigroup and MUFG as lead placement agents, MUFG as letter of credit facility administrative agent and issuing bank, and as special counsel to the purchasers on the placement of senior secured fixed rate term notes and a senior secured letter of credit facility for the Alamo 6 photovoltaic solar project, indirectly owned by Berkshire Hathaway Energy Company
- The commercial and development banks (including IDB, Bancomext and EIB) on the Enel Green Power portfolio project financing of three solar photovoltaic (PV) plants in Mexico – Don Jose, Villanueva I and Villanueva III – with an aggregate project value of approximately $1 billion.
Engagement & Publications
- Freedman, M. Lamb, C. Melvin (2019), Financing Large-Scale Projects. In M. Gerrard & J. Dernbach (Eds.), Legal Pathways to Deep Decarbonization in the United States (pp. 129-147). Environmental Law Institute, Jan 1, 2019.