Jaime Madell is a partner in the Derivatives practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's New York office. Mr. Madell advises clients on a wide range of derivatives and related matters and his practice spans all asset classes and product types, including over-the-counter and exchange-traded transactions in credit, equity, commodity, crypto, energy, interest rate and foreign exchange.
In addition to counseling clients on transactional matters, Mr. Madell regularly appears before regulators and advises on questions involving the Dodd-Frank Act, the Investment Company Act, NFA/CFTC registration obligations and exemptions, insurance-related derivatives rules, and securities regulatory matters related to derivatives and hybrid instruments.
Before joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Madell was a partner at another international law firm and a managing director responsible for derivatives and related matters at Guggenheim Partners.
Mr. Madell has regularly appeared before regulators in an advocacy capacity and often speaks publicly on derivatives matters. He is also a Lecturer-in-Law at the University of Chicago Law School.
- New York University School of Law, J.D. (cum laude), 2011
- Northwestern University Bienen School of Music, M.M. (with honors), 2007
- Columbia University, B.A. (summa cum laude), 2006
- Advised Northern Oil and Gas on $500 million convertible senior notes and related derivatives matters
- Advised JAMF in $378 million convertible senior notes offering and related derivatives matters
- Advised Array Technologies, Inc. in $375 million convertible senior notes offering and related derivatives matters
- Advised Tripadvisor on $300 million convertible notes offering and related derivatives matters
- Advised Marriott Vacations Worldwide Corporation on $575 million convertible note offering and related derivatives matters
- Advised multiple public issuers on equity derivatives transactions, including accelerated share repurchases with $500 million - $1 billion notional
- Advised numerous derivatives trading organizations on considerations regarding swap dealer and security-based swap dealer registration requirements
- Advised TPG Rise Climate and Rubicon Carbon on CFTC regulatory analysis
- Advised virtual power trading enterprise in evaluating CFTC regulations
- Regularly advised private funds and registered investment companies in CFTC matters.
Project Finance, Energy and Infrastructure:
- Advised CHPE LLC on derivatives matters relating to the financing of a power transmission line from Quebec to New York City
- Advised Magnolia Power on derivatives matters relating to the financing of a 725 MW nameplate capacity natural gas-fired and hydrogen-capable facility
- Advised Summit Midstream Partners in derivatives matters relating to back-leverage financing in connection with the Double E Pipeline Project
- Advised leading solar energy enterprise in derivatives transactions relating to a new solar project
- Advised major life insurance company on multiple $500 million+ leverage facilities
- Advised several life insurance companies on custom index arrangements and bespoke hedging programs
- Implemented repo investment structures for various insurance companies
Bankruptcy and Restructuring:
- Advised ad hoc group of HEMA bondholders on derivatives matters relating to scheme of arrangement
- Advised Selecta on derivatives matters relating to €1.24 billion+ recapitalization
- Advised Gulfport Energy Corporation on derivatives matters relating to its Chapter 11 filing and eventual emergence
- Advised multiple private funds on credit derivative matters relating to distressed credits
- Advised investment fund in negotiation of $400 million total return swap facility on loans
- Established swap loan-and-bond financing platform for credit strategy of major private equity firm
- Advised several private equity funds in implementation of swap-based leverage to facilitate acquisition transactions
Matters may have been completed before joining Paul Hastings.