John Cahill is the head of the Real Estate Finance practice group and a partner in the Real Estate Private Equity practice of Paul Hastings. Mr. Cahill divides his time between Hong Kong and New York. He is also a member of the Hospitality and Leisure practice group at Paul Hastings. He has extensive experience working with clients throughout the United States and Asia, including Hong Kong, India, Japan, Singapore, Taiwan, China, and Korea.
Mr. Cahill represents major financial institutions, private equity funds and other institutional investors, in complex domestic and cross-border commercial transactions. His practice has concentrated on the representation of investment banks, insurance companies, private equity funds, development companies, other types of institutional lenders and venture capital firms in the formation of real estate private equity funds, and raising equity and debt for such funds.
In addition, his practice encompasses the development, acquisition and sale, finance, leasing, operation, management, licensing, branding, repositioning, workout and restructuring of hotels, condo-hotels, resorts and other hospitality, recreational, and real estate-based entertainment properties for businesses in North America and Asia.
Mr. Cahill represents many investment banks, private equity funds and other institutional investors who are focused on structured finance transactions, including, without limitation, commercial mortgage backed securities, A/B note structures, repurchase agreements, corporate credit facilities, subscription lines of credit, mezzanine finance transactions, preferred equity investments, convertible debt transactions, and commercial loans. In connection with his representation of private equity funds, venture capital firms and pension trusts, Mr. Cahill has done numerous joint ventures for the acquisition financing and development of commercial real estate projects in the U.S. and Asia with an emphasis on hotels and resorts.
Mr. Cahill has represented clients in transactions covering a wide variety of commercial properties throughout the United States and Asia. These properties have involved office towers, regional and super-regional shopping malls, hotels, casinos, resorts and large residential condominiums, and urban and suburban mixed-use developments.
Mr. Cahill began his law practice at Dewey Ballantine in the Corporate department and then joined Battle Fowler LLP in New York, where he was a partner prior to joining Paul Hastings.
- The Legal 500, Real Estate (2021)
- The Legal 500, Tier 1 Real Estate (2020)
- Fordham University Law School, J.D., 1988
- Fordham University, B.A., 1985
- Represented multiple private equity funds in subscription credit facilities ranging in size from $50 million to $1.25 billion.
- Represented a private equity fund in a joint venture with a Hong Kong listed company for co-sponsorship of China distressed debt fund.
- Represented a private equity fund in the joint venture with respect to the acquisition of a Japanese public company.
- Represented a fund advisor in the US$200 million equity restructuring and exit from a China joint venture with a Hong Kong listed company.
- Represented a private equity fund in US$2 billion in corporate debt.
- Represented a private equity firm in the restructuring of its hotel franchise agreement throughout China.
- Represented Doran Capital in the formation of real estate fund, Triseas Real Estate Partners I and II.
- Represented AIG Real Estate in connection with the negotiation of five ground leases for the redevelopment of downtown Seoul, negotiation of $1billion construction loan opposite syndicate of Korean banks for the construction of a 5.5 million square foot mixed use development comprised of three office towers, one hotel and a retail shopping center in a phased development.
- Represented Sotan in its first private equity fund.
- Represented Arch Capital Partners in Fund I and Fund II.
- Represented Star Asia in its three distressed debt funds for Japan.
- Represented multiple private equity funds in multiple separate account transactions.
- Represented a private equity fund as issuer in NPL securitization.
- Represented multiple private equity funds in connection with multiple global master repurchase credit facilities relating to REIT bonds.
- Represented a sovereign wealth fund in connection with a single asset securitization and a separate mezzanine loan in the aggregate amount of US$580 million together with a restructuring of the sponsor.
- Represented a large investment bank in the purchase of an interest in a syndicated capital commitment backed subscription line credit facility.
- Represented a national bank in connection with a repurchase credit facility relating to a pool of mortgage loans.
- Represented a Japanese bank in multiple capital commitment-backed subscription line credit facilities ranging from $50 million to $500 million.
- Represented A real estate finance and investment management company in the restructuring of US$580 million of corporate debt.
- Represented a Japanese based manager in a US$500 million real estate private equity fund for distressed debt in Japan.
- Member of the New York Bar
- Admitted to practice as a solicitor in Hong Kong
- Trustee and Secretary of the Game Conservancy USA