Jong Han Kim is a partner in the Litigation department of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Los Angeles office. He practices in the fields of complex cross-border litigation and mergers and acquisitions.
- Recognized as a Leading Individual (Band 2) for Dispute Resolution: International Firms by Chambers Asia Pacific (2017)
- Recognized as one of the leading lawyers (Band 1) for Corporate and M&A practice in South Korea by Chambers Asia Pacific (2012)
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1989 (cum laude)
- Georgetown University, B.S.F.S., 1986 (magna cum laude)
He has advised on the following:
- Samsung Electronics in connection with numerous patent litigation cases in the U.S.
- Samsung Electronics in connection with numerous consumer class action cases in the U.S.
- KCC in connection with the adoption and implementation of its global standard compliance program.
- Kolon Industries in connection with trade secrets and anti-trust litigation in the U.S.
- Korean Air in connection with anti-trust class action litigation in the U.S.
- LG Display in its US anti-trust litigation.
- Lotte Chemical in connection with its trade secrets litigation victory in the U.S.
- Lotte Chemical in connection with its arbitration victory in the U.S.
- Korea Exchange Bank in Bernie Madoff feeder funds litigation brought by Fairfield Sentry.
- NCSoft, a leading online game company in Korea, in connection with a trade secret theft case in China.
- Samsung Corporation in its dispute in relation to an ownership of copper mine in Kazakhstan against Dalex, a Russian company. International Corporate Transactions.
- Samsung Electronics in its sale and joint venture of AST Research.
- Samsung Life in its joint venture with Air China Group to form a joint venture life insurance company in China.
- Samsung SDI in its proposed US$200 million joint venture in Hungary with KOC Group of Turkey.
- SK Telecom in its US$440 million joint venture with Earthlink to form Helio mobile phone company in the U.S.
- GE Capital in its acquisition of more than 45 commercial buildings in Seoul and in the establishment of Korea’s first cross-border corporate restructuring real estate investment trust.
- Fila Korea in its acquisition of the Fila global brand.
- A Korean retail conglomerate in its attempted bid for the acquisition of Godiva Chocolate in the U.S.
- Woongjin Coway in its GDR offering.
- J.P. Morgan in a US$101 million GDR offering and Luxembourg Stock Exchange listing for INI Steel.
- J.P. Morgan in a GDR offering and Luxembourg Stock Exchange listing for Kumgang Korea Chemical.
- Wal-Mart in its US$882 million sale of its Korean operations to Shinsegae, one of Korea’s largest retail conglomerates.
Engagement & Publications
- Former columnist for the largest English daily in Korea: his column, "A View From Abroad," appeared frequently in The Korea Herald
- Author of "The Kumgangsan Dam and International Law," published in the Korean Journal of International Law
- Foreign Investment Advisor, Minister of State for Trade of the Republic of Korea
- Advisor, 1998 and 1999 Korean parliamentary delegations to Washington