Mark Thomas Carper is an associate in the Litigation Department and is based in the firm’s Chicago office. Mr. Carper represents corporate entities and their executives in connection with government and internal investigations into allegations of potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), federal anti-kickback statute, health care fraud, and the False Claims Act. Mr. Carper also devotes substantial time assisting companies with undertaking proactive risk assessments and compliance program reviews, preparing for potential enforcement and/or qui tam activity, and developing and enhancing corporate compliance programs.
- Cornell Law School, J.D. (cum laude), 2018
- University of California, Irvine, B.A. (summa cum laude)
Represent a multi-national medical device manufacturer in connection with its voluntary disclosures to the U.S. Department of Justice related to potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in multiple jurisdictions.
Represent a global rare disease biopharmaceutical manufacturer in connection with its receipt of a U.S. Department of Justice subpoena for production of documents pertaining to its marketing and promotion of a rare disease treatment.
Represent a molecular diagnostics company before a state department of health Draft and revise global policies, procedures, and trainings on numerous topics, including corporate governance, internal investigations, company training and events, third-party funding, patient support, and distributor management Conducted internal investigations on behalf of a molecular diagnostics company facing whistleblower allegations of Medicare fraud and Anti-Kickback Statute violations.
Obtained a $125,000 payment for a pro bono client initially seeking to collect $500 in child and spousal support arrears.
Represented a biopharmaceutical company in connection with employment-related and securities litigation lawsuits.
Engagement & Publications
- Revisiting Employee Communication Policies After DOJ Memo, Law 360, October 13, 2022
- AdvaMed Code: Key Updates, Lexology, April 6th, 2022
- PhRMA Code Update: A Spotlight on Speaker Programs, Lexology, September 15th, 2021
- Med Device Case Highlights Physician IP Deal Best Practices, Law360, November 30th, 2021
- Compliance Lessons from DOJ's Merit Medical Settlement, Law360, November 3rd, 2020
- Committee Member, The Federal Bar Association, Orange County Chapter, Young Lawyers Division (FBA/OC, YLD)
- Presenter, UC Irvine Pre-Law Society, April 2019 and November 2019