Matthew Poxon is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's London office. Mr. Poxon has a broad corporate practice, covering all aspects of global M&A and Private Equity transactions, including private acquisitions and disposals, public takeovers and joint ventures, as well as equity capital markets and general advisory matters.
- One of the 40 Under 40 Rising Stars in Private Equity, 2019, as awarded by Legal Week.
- Mr. Poxon has been recommended in Legal 500, UK (Corporate/M&A: High-End Capability — London) since 2015.
- Mr. Poxon earned an MA honours degree in Law at St. Catharine’s College, Cambridge University in 2003
- Completed his Legal Practice Course in 2005 at Nottingham Law School
Recent M&A highlights
- City Football Group Limited, the owner and operator of football clubs, with total or partial ownership of clubs in eight major cities across the world: Manchester City in the UK, New York City FC in the US, Melbourne FC in Australia, Yokohama F. Marinos in Japan, Club Atletico Torque in Uruguay, Girona Futbol Club in Spain, Sichuan Jiuniu FC in China and Mumbai City Football Club in India on:
- the investment by a consortium of high-profile Chinese institutional investors led by China Media Capital in 2015;
- the investment by U.S. private equity firm Silver Lake, which saw Silver Lake invest $500 million for just over 10% of the company’s post-investment equity, valuing the business at approximately $4.8 billion;
- its acquisition (with UBTECH and China Sports Capital) of Sichuan Jiuniu FC; and
- its acquisition of a majority stake in the Indian Super League’s Mumbai City Football Club.
- DXC Technology Company, on its acquisition of the shares in Virtual Clarity that DXC did not already own following its 2017 strategic investment in Virtual Clarity.
- Jacobs Engineering Group on its acquisition of Wood Group’s Nuclear business in the UK, Europe, and the Far East for £250 million.
- Teleperformance SE on its acquisition of Intelenet, a major global provider of omnichannel customer experience management, back-office, human resources and financial and administration services from Blackstone for a total consideration of $1 billion (enterprise value).
- The Ad Hoc Committee of Tier 2 noteholders on the City Code on Takeovers and Mergers and corporate law aspects capital raising plan for The Co-operative Bank p.l.c.
- Haitong International (BVI) Limited, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Haitong International Securities Group Limited, on its recommended cash acquisition of Japaninvest Group PLC, to be effected by means of a UK Scheme of Arrangement and in accordance with the UK Takeover Code, which was the first time a UK Scheme of Arrangement had been used in a takeover of Japanese-listed company.
Recent Private Equity highlights
- Abry Partners II, LLC, on its disposal of a majority interest in AddSecure to funds advised by Castik Capital S.à r.l..
- Oakley Capital, on its agreements to acquire leading maritime e-learning businesses Seagull and Videotel. Oakley Capital partnered with the management teams of Seagull and Videotel to acquire majority stakes in the businesses from their current shareholders, Herkules Private Equity and KVH Industries, respectively.
- Abry Partners II, LLC, the media, communications, business and information services focused private equity investment firm, on its recommended voluntary cash offer to acquire all shares in LINK Mobility Group ASA at an offer price that values Link Mobility Group ASA at NOK 3,396 million (€357 million). Winner of Private Equity Deal of the Year, Transatlantic Legal Awards 2019.
- Fosun Property, on the acquisition of a majority stake in Resolution Property Investment Management, the London-based private equity real estate fund manager.
Capital Markets highlights
- Sagicor Financial Corporation Limited, on the London Stock Exchange aspects of the business combination with Alignvest Acquisition II Corporation, a special purpose acquisition corporation listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange.
- Tiso Blackstar Group SE on the readmission of the enlarged issued share capital of Tiso Blackstar on AIM.
- Citigroup, Société Général and Raiffeisen Bank, on the initial public offering of Romania’s leading state-owned electricity distributor and supplier, Electrica S.A..
- JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., as the depository bank on the admission and listing of IG Seismic Services plc’s GDRs to the Official List of the U.K Listing Authority and to trading on the London Stock Exchange.
- Mr. Poxon spent six months on secondment to the depositary receipts team at JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A. in 2013.