Molly Swartz is a partner of the Fintech and Payments practice at Paul Hastings. She is based in the firm’s San Francisco office.
In her practice, Ms. Swartz represents and advises financial technology companies, internet marketplaces, and commercial and consumer lenders, regarding a broad spectrum of transactional, regulatory and general corporate matters. Ms. Swartz has experience with consumer protection laws, as well as the Truth-in-Lending Act, the Equal Credit Opportunity Act, the Fair Credit Reporting Act, the Bank Secrecy Act, state money transmission and licensed lending laws, gift card laws, payment network rules, and other state and federal statutes related to money movement.
- Law360, Rising Star, Fintech (2023)
- The Legal 500 USA, Rising Star, Fintech (2022)
Engagement & Publications
- Client Alert: Finance Providers Need to Be Aware of New Commercial Finance Disclosure Laws (July 2023)
- Client Alert: There’s a New Sheriff in Town: CCFPL Empowers California’s Financial Services Regulator (Oct. 2020)
- Co-Author with Thomas P. Brown, Fair Lending and the Use of Alternative Underwriting, Law360 (June 9, 2020)
- Client Alert: California Deems Certain Deferred Payment Products Loans, Requiring a Lending License (Jan. 2020)
- Speaker, "To MSB or Not to MSB?" Paul Hastings ICO Teleconference Series (Dec. 14, 2017)
- Co-Author with Robert P. Silvers, Data Breach Preparedness and Response in a World of White Hat Hackers, The Privacy Advisor, IAPP (Nov. 28, 2017)
- Speaker, "Regulatory Developments in Prepaid," 2017 Prepaid Expo (August 22, 2017)
- Co-Author with Thomas P. Brown, Making America Great for FinTech, 20 FinTech L. Report 1 (March/April 2017)
- Co-Author with Thomas P. Brown, Competition Policy in Consumer Financial Services: The Disparate Regulation of Online Marketplace Lenders and Banks, 11 Competition Pol'y Int'l 1 (Mar. 2016)
- PH Privacy Blog: CFPB's First Foray into Data Security Makes $100,000 Splash (Mar. 2016)
- Client Alert: CFPB Releases its First Regulatory Proposals Under its UDAAP Authority - Proposing to Level the Playing Field for Payday Loans, Vehicle Title Loans, and Certain High-Cost Installment and Open-End Loans (Apr. 2015)