Neil Torpey is a partner in the Corporate Department of Paul Hastings. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital, and capital markets matters. He serves as chair of our Hong Kong office and also is resident in our New York office, and has served as vice-chair of our global Corporate Department and as a member of our Policy Committee, our Recruiting Committee and our Partnership Evaluation Committee.
Mr. Torpey has extensive experience in the representation of public and private business organizations in connection with public and private mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, securities offerings, and private equity and venture capital transactions; the representation of sponsors and investors in connection with the establishment of private equity funds; the representation of investment banks and issuers in capital markets transactions; and the representation of companies as general counsel in connection with a variety of corporate and commercial matters. He has had extensive experience structuring and executing transactions in the U.S., Asia, Latin America and Europe.
- Consistently listed as a leading lawyer in Chambers Asia and in Asia Pacific Legal 500
- Cornell Law School, J.D., 1985
- Colgate University, B.A. (cum laude), 1982
- Morgan Stanley and EarlyBirdCapital Inc. as joint bookrunners, in connection with Chenghe Acquisition Co.’s US$100 million initial public offering and listing on NASDAQ Global Market. Chenghe Acquisition Company is a special purpose acquisition companies co-founded by Kenneth Hitchner, the former chairman and chief executive officer of Goldman Sachs in Asia Pacific Ex-Japan, and Richard Qi Li, the former chief investment officer and the chief operating officer of China Great Wall AMC (International) Holdings Company Limited.
- Nova Infrastructure Partners, an infrastructure-focused private equity investment firm, in its investment in telMAX, Inc., a fiber network operator providing data, voice and video services in the Greater Toronto Area of Ontario, Canada.
- Representing Novacap Technologies V, L.P. and Novacap Technologies VI, L.P., and affiliated co-investors, in connection with the acquisition of Horizon Telcom, Inc., a telecommunications and fiber network services provider, and related debt financing; and in connection with subsequent add-on acquisitions and financing transactions.
- Represented Novacap Technologies III, L.P. and Novacap Technologies IV, L.P., technology- and telecom-focused private equity funds, in connection with the acquisition of Oxford Networks, Inc., a diversified telecommunications and data center services provider, and related debt financing; the subsequent acquisition of Utel Inc./Freedom Ring Communications, LLC, a telecommunications and fiber network services provider, and related debt financing; and the sale of Oxford Networks, Inc. to affiliates of Oak Hill Capital Partners.
- Represented UBS Securities LLC and Credit Suisse Securities (USA) LLC in connection with $340 million SPAC IPO and NASDAQ listing by Artisan Acquisition Corp.
- China Bohai Bank, a nationwide joint-stock commercial bank in China, on its US$1.77 billion global offering and listing of its H Shares on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. CCB International, Haitong International, ABCI Capital and CLSA acted as the joint sponsors.
- Credit Suisse, Morgan Stanley, and ICBC International Capital as joint sponsors in the US$381 million global initial public offering and listing on the Main Board of The Hong Kong Stock Exchange of JS Global Lifestyle, a Chinese small appliance manufacturer which is a portfolio company of leading PRC-based private equity investor CDH Investments.
- Represented CDH Investments and affiliated investors in connection with the acquisition of Euro-Pro Holdco, LLC, parent of entities manufacturing and distributing SharkNinja consumer products, and related commercial joint ventures in China.
- Representing Morgan Stanley, UBS, JPMorgan, Credit Suisse and Bank of America Merrill Lynch, as well as numerous issuers, respectively, in global equity offerings including Hong Kong IPOs, Rule 144A/Reg S offerings and SPAC IPOs.
- Represented a global real estate private equity firm in the establishment of several Asia-focused real estate private equity funds involving over $2.0 billion in capital commitments.
- Represented consortia of private equity and strategic investors in connection with acquisitions of data center businesses in the U.S., Europe, Asia and Latin America.
- Representing a Middle East-based sovereign wealth fund in establishing an Asia-focused private equity fund for artificial intelligence-related investments.
- Representing various family offices in initiating, managing and exiting private investments, including via IPO and through M&A transactions with private and public companies.
- Member, Board of Directors, BOCI-Prudential Trustee Limited (a joint venture of The Bank of China and Prudential)
- Member, Board of Directors, Colgate University Alumni Corporation
- Member, Board of Directors, Friends of Kellett School
- Member, Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries -- Technical Consultation Panel
- Prior experience includes service as a member of the staff of United States Senator Bill Bradley, and of the United States Federal Reserve Board
- Advisor, Cornell Law School Tech LLM Program
- Adjunct Professor, Cornell Tech Program