Paul Severs is a partner in the Finance and Securities and Capital Markets practices at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s London office. Mr. Severs has been involved in the European securities market since the early 1990’s. He has more than 25 years’ experience in the structured finance and securitisation markets.
Most recently, Mr. Severs has been involved in advising funds establishing, acquiring and growing non-bank loan origination businesses and servicing platforms and acquiring associated loan portfolios. He advises on acquisition finance, growth capital, regulatory capital and compliance requirements. He also advises on asset acquisition and financing structures, warehouse financing and the securitisation and trading of loan assets.
Mr. Severs has significant experience advising clients on JV and co‑investment structures and establishing new debt origination funds. He works closely with the Paul Hastings funds group.
He has also been actively involved in advising clients purchasing assets, loans and companies from securitisation structures, related tender offers and exchange offers, voting rights in different parts of the capital structure and downgrade related issues. He advises noteholder steering committees and sponsors in the context of restructuring loans and capital markets financing transactions.
Mr. Severs has experience in all the main financial asset classes including residential and commercial mortgages, consumer loans, and revolving credits. He has also advised extensively on whole business securitisations including infrastructure and utilities, leisure facilities, and nursing homes.
Mr. Severs advises funds, arrangers, originators, trustees, rating agencies, swap counter parties, and entrepreneurs. Geographically, he has worked on transactions throughout Europe, Asia, and Japan.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Severs was the head of Structured Debt and Capital Markets at another international law firm.
- Named a 'Leading Individual' for Securitisation - The Legal 500 UK 2023
- Recommended for Securitisation by Chambers UK 2020: 'Paul Severs is described as a "strategic mastermind" by a source, who praises him for being "commercial, smart, confident and capable," adding that "he can provide solutions to complex issues in a creative way."'
- Recommended for Securitisation by The Legal 500 UK 2020: "Paul Severs gives us the benefit of his advice with the benefit of knowing which matters are most important to us. He is responsive and honest and we are always happy to rely on him to be our point of contact into the rest of his firm. When we have had to raise queries or issues, he has been the person who has resolved them."
- Mr. Severs is recognized as a leading lawyer by legal guides including Chambers and The Legal 500. Clients in these guides have called him “very strong in the field of securitisation” and “a commercial, smart and thoughtful guy." One client describes him as "an incredibly bright lawyer and a great safety net to have," adding: "He will think about everything and genuinely cares."
- "Structured Finance & Securitisation Team of the Year" at the IFLR 2016 Europe
- University of Hull LLB 2:1
- Guildford Law School
Engagement & Publications
- Mr. Severs is a regular speaker at ABS conferences and has had articles published in leading journals and publications, including the Asset Securitisation and Synthetic Structures published by Euromoney and the Financial Times.