Peter Meier is a leader in the Paul Hastings Real Estate Litigation practice and Complex Litigation and Arbitration practices. He represents clients in real estate, engineering and construction, financial services, environmental, and mass tort litigation.
- University of California Davis School of Law, J.D., 1995
- Columbia University, B.A., 1990
- Lead counsel for the developer of the Millennium Tower in San Francisco, in complex litigation involving more than 400 claims related to excessive movement of the building foundation. Developed strategy to bring actions against owners and contractors for major construction projects on adjoining properties, based on indemnity, negligence, and inverse condemnation. Worked with world-leading structural and geotechnical engineers to develop conclusive evidence as to the contributing causes of movement of the building foundation. After multiple mediation, arbitration and trial court proceedings, achieved a global settlement of all claims on highly favorable terms. Served as lead counsel for negotiations related to the development and implementation of a retrofit of the building foundation.
- Lead counsel for purchaser of property valued at $43 million in arbitration against seller, and in litigation against contracting parties. Developed successful claims for construction defects and fraud related to concealment of defects in the building envelope, structural design, and mechanical systems.
- Currently representing global food company in defense of claims related to alleged chemical and odor emissions from agricultural activities.
- Represented U.S.-based food company in defense of claims for breach of contract related to the development of its headquarters building in Sonoma County, California. After motion practice challenging plaintiff’s key allegations, obtained favorable settlement of claims.
- Numerous representations of real estate developers, home construction companies, and commercial and industrial property owners in pre-litigation, arbitration, mediation, and court proceedings related to contract disputes, construction defects, and business tort claims.
- Served as lead arbitration counsel for commercial real estate investment firm in dispute related to operation of Meet-Me-Room in data center located in downtown Los Angeles. Obtained full dismissal of action alleging business torts against client.
- Represented global bank in fraudulent transfer litigation against construction industry borrower and its former CEO. After the court issued a writ of attachment against the defendants based on alter ego liability, the case was resolved on favorable terms.
- Defended global bank against a class action lawsuit based on alleged aiding and abetting the breach of fiduciary duties, in connection with a public company purchase of commercial real estate properties valued at $3.5 billion; after the court denied the plaintiff's motion for preliminary injunction, the plaintiff agreed to dismiss all claims.
- Defended manufacturer of power generation and pollution control systems in a mass tort action filed in the United States District Court, Western District of Pennsylvania. The plaintiffs alleged injuries relating to the operation of two nuclear fuel fabrication facilities. Obtained full dismissal of all claims.
- Member of the Financial Services Litigation, and Products Liability and Toxic Tort practices of Paul Hastings
- Member, Board of Directors, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, Board of Directors, Public Interest Law Project
- Recipient, Award of Merit, Bar Association of San Francisco