Phoebe Yan is a litigation partner based in our Shanghai office. Her practice focuses on life sciences, white-collar crime and internal investigations, data privacy and cybersecurity, government enforcement actions, and disputes resolution. Ms. Yan specializes in risk control and risk management that covers a broad spectrum of trending issues. Her experience ranges from China nation-wide internal investigations on bribery and corruption issues, complex trade compliance related investigations, and time and culture sensitive investigations such as sexual and workplace harassment by senior executives.
Ms. Yan is admitted to practice law in New York. She also passed the bar in China in 2013 and has a Chinese practicing license, but the license is currently not in active status due to local regulatory requirements. Before joining Paul Hastings, Ms. Yan worked at a full-service Chinese law firm and an international law firm.
Ms. Yan is a certified information privacy professional for the U.S. Sector (CIPP/US), a Certified Information Security Professional for Personal Information Protection (CISP-PIP) of the Chinese PIPL, and an EXIN certified Data Protection Officer for GDPR.
- Shortlisted for “Life Sciences Lawyer of the Year - Women in Business Law Awards APAC 2022"
- The University of Iowa, College of Law, J.D., 2010
- Peking University, B.A., 2006
- Represented U.S. and European pharmaceutical, medical devices, technology, and consumer products companies regarding anti-corruption and anti-bribery issues before the U.S. Department of Justice and the U.S. Securities Exchange Commission
- Served as international counsel in the internal investigations of a Chinese technology company in connection with trade control and sanctions enforcement proceedings with the U.S. government (case in previous firm)
- Conducted China-wide, cross-business internal investigations on behalf of several major multinational pharmaceutical and medical devices manufacturers
- Represented various U.S. and European life science companies, automotive products manufacturers, and oil and gas companies in commercial bribery and competition law investigations and dawn raids by Chinese authorities
- Advised multinational and Chinese companies on compliance, contract, and employment issues related to whistle-blower claims, third-party business partner disputes, and conflict of interests investigations
- Performed compliance trainings and M&A compliance due diligence
- Performed China focused data mapping and health check and provided data privacy and security consultation to a multinational investment company
- Provided data privacy and cybersecurity consultation to a multinational fashion conglomerate
- Performed data health check to the compliance hotline of a multinational pharmaceutical company
- Represented a U.S. pharmaceutical company on data privacy and cross-border transfer strategy
- Represented a U.S. financial company on Chinese data governance related issues
- Tried a recognition and enforcement of Hong Kong arbitral award case before a Beijing court. The case was selected as the Top 10 model enforcement cases by the Supreme People’s Court of China in 2020 (case in previous firm)
- Served as international counsel to provide litigation strategy coordination and Chinese lawyer and project management services on behalf of the related party in the legal proceedings brought by the families of the Malaysia Airlines MH370 victims in the Beijing Railway Transportation Court (case in previous firm)
- Handled contract disputes against business partners for U.S. and U.K. clients in life sciences and technology industries before Beijing courts and arbitration tribunals
- Advised multinational companies in life sciences, automobile, electronic devices, food, cosmetics, and home appliance industries for product liability and product recall matters
- Assisted multinational clients in commercial and financial litigations before Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, and Hong Kong courts
Engagement & Publications
- Frequent speaker for the Ethics and Compliance Committee of the American Chamber of Commerce in Shanghai
- Certified Information Privacy Professional for the U.S. Sector (CIPP/US) by the IAPP
- Certified Information Security Professional - Personal Information Protection (CISP-PIP) by the China Information Technology Security Evaluation Center
- EXIN Privacy and Data Protection Officer for GDPR
- Member of Reserve Panel of Arbitrators of the Singapore International Arbitration Center (SIAC)
- Guest member of the Corporate Compliance Committee of the Shanghai Bar Association
- Admitted to the New York Bar and the P.R. China Bar