Partner, Corporate Department
Steven Bryan is a Partner in the London office of Paul Hastings. Mr. Bryan leads the London office’s energy, natural resources, and infrastructure group. He has deep experience in a wide range of domestic and cross-border corporate work, including advising investment funds and corporations on public and private mergers and acquisitions, equity offerings, and other corporate transactions.
Mr. Bryan’s experience includes acting on transactions in the U.K., Europe, Africa, Asia, and the Americas in the energy, utilities, transportation, mining, water, waste, telecommunications, and real estate sectors. He is listed as a leading individual for Projects, Energy, and Natural Resources and for Corporate M&A in Legal 500 2023.
- Named a 'Leading Individual' for M&A: Upper Mid-Market and Premium Deals, £500m+ - The Legal 500 UK 2023
- Steven Bryan‘s broad infrastructure expertise sees him leading on domestic and cross-border transactions for major players in energy, shipping, and transportation –The Legal 500 UK 2022
- Steven Bryan maintains a healthy practice in domestic and cross-border M&A. He represents a variety of corporations, investment funds and banks with a focus on the infrastructure and energy fields – Chambers UK 2019
- Oxford University, St Catherine’s – BA Jurisprudence
- Represented a sub sea fibre operator in the proposed acquisition of sub sea fibre operator GCX and in relation to a proposed realization
- Represented Brookfield Infrastructure in the €3.6bn consortium acquisition of TDF, the French telecoms masts operator and on its refinancing and on the proposed sale of equity interests by Brookfield and PSP
- Represented IFM on its bid for UK telecommunications operator Airwave
- Represented a bidder on the sale of telecoms mast operator Arqiva and subsequently a shareholder on financings for Arqiva
Energy, Power and Utilities
- Advising an infrastructure fund on a proposed investment in a UK hydrogen platform
- Represented Northumbrian Water Group Plc on the £4bn recommended public offer by a consortium led by Cheung Kong Infrastructure
- Represented Brookfield Infrastructure on its acquisition of Brookfield Utilities U.K., the regulated electricity, water, gas, and fibre connections provider and its £1bn refinancing
- Advising Allianz Capital, Amber Infrastructure and Dalmore in the acquisition of a further interest in the £4bn Thames Tideway Tunnel project
- Represented Castle Water, bulk water supplier, on a corporate reorganisation
- Represented a bidder in the proposed acquisition of Brazilian power transmission utility Evoltz
- Represented IFM on its €800m consortium acquisition of 50 Hertz, the German power distribution network
- Represented IFM on £2bn recommended consortium offer for AWG Plc, owner of Anglian Water
- Represented Infracapital on the £5bn recommended consortium offer for Kelda Group Plc, owner of Yorkshire Water
- Represented Veolia on the sale of a 25% interest in Southern Water to Southern Water Capital for in excess of £280m
- Represented Deutsche Bank, Ecofin, and Collins Stewart in relation to the £2.2bn acquisition of Northumbrian Water and its simultaneous admission to AIM and subsequent admission to the Official List of the London Stock Exchange
- Advising a sovereign wealth fund on its investment in Constantine Group as developer of a UK initial 400 MW battery storage portfolio.
- Represented on a proposed cross border merger between wind turbine manufacturers Gamesa S.A. (now Siemens Gamesa) and Suzlon.
- Represented Brookfield Renewables on the financing of its onshore wind portfolio in Ireland and on the proposed acquisition of a wind farm portfolio in France.
- Represented a consortium of investors in the proposed development of the Blythe offshore wind farm.
- Represented WeLink on the acquisition of a solar portfolio in the U.K.
- Represented Iberdrola on several U.K. onshore wind farm project acquisitions.
- Represented SunEdison on the $350m acquisition of the Continuum Wind Energy’s assets in India.
- Represented an infrastructure fund on investment in a green hydrogen development.
- Represented the platform developer in a fundraising for an advanced biofuels production platform.
- Represented a subsea fibre operator in the proposed acquisition of subsea fibre operator GCX and in relation to a proposed realization.
- Represented Brookfield Infrastructure in the €3.6bn consortium acquisition of TDF, the French telecoms masts operator and on its refinancing and on the proposed sale of equity interests by Brookfield and PSP.
- Represented IFM on its bid for UK telecommunications operator Airwave.
- Represented a bidder on the sale of telecoms mast operator Arqiva and subsequently a shareholder on financings for Arqiva.
Energy, Power, and Utilities
- Represented Northumbrian Water Group plc on the £4bn recommended public offer by a consortium led by Cheung Kong Infrastructure.
- Represented Brookfield Infrastructure on its acquisition of Brookfield Utilities U.K., the regulated electricity, water, gas, and fibre connections provider and its £1bn refinancing and sell down to PGGM.
- Advising Allianz Capital, Amber Infrastructure and Dalmore in the acquisition of a further interest in the £4bn Thames Tideway Tunnel project.
- Represented Castle Water, bulk water supplier, on a corporate reorganisation.
- Represented a bidder in the proposed acquisition of Brazilian power transmission utility, Evoltz.
- Represented IFM on its €800m consortium acquisition of 50 Hertz, the German power distribution network.
- Represented IFM on £2bn recommended consortium offer for AWG plc, owner of Anglian Water.
- Represented Infracapital on the £5bn recommended consortium offer for Kelda Group plc, owner of Yorkshire Water.
- Represented Veolia on the sale of a 25% interest in Southern Water to Southern Water Capital for in excess of £280m.
- Represented Deutsche Bank, Ecofin, and Collins Stewart in relation to the £2.2bn acquisition of Northumbrian Water and its simultaneous admission to AIM and subsequent admission to the Official List of the London Stock Exchange.
- Represented Veolia in connection with its £2bn acquisition and sell down of First Aqua, the holding company of Southern Water, and the whole business securitisation of Southern Water.
- Represented Veolia Environment on the acquisition of waste company Cleanaway UK for £590m and subsequent disposal of its waste to energy and high temperature incineration business.
- Represented a financial investor on their proposed acquisition of Baltic Cable, the high-voltage interconnector between Germany and Sweden.
- Represented First Gen on the proposed acquisition and accelerated IPO for 800 MW Immingham gas-fired CHP plant in UK.
- Represented a financial investor on the proposed €1bn acquisition of the Open Grid Europe gas transmission operator in Germany.
Midstream Oil and Gas
- Represented Brookfield Capital Partners on the £360m acquisition of Greenergy, the U.K.’s largest road fuels storage and distribution operator, and the subsequent merger of Greenergy with BG Fuels, a leading Canadian gasoline and convenience retailer and on a proposed sale of the business.
- Represented EIG Capital Partners on the sale of its interests in the Gasbol Brazilian/Bolivian gas pipeline to Fluxys S.A.
- Represented Brookfield on its sale of gas distribution network operator International Energy Group to Ancala Capital Partners.
- Represented a sovereign wealth fund in connection with the proposed acquisition of an international FPSO portfolio.
- Represented an oil major on the disposal of its European retail petroleum business and related branded supply arrangements.
- Represented a consortium of financial investors on the proposed acquisition of Total’s U.K. midstream and downstream petroleum assets.
- Represented a financial investor in the proposed acquisition of gas pipeline and terminal operator North Sea Midstream Partners.
- Represented Equinor SA on the sale of its interest in the Teeside Oil Terminal and Processing Facility to Total, Eni, and Conoco Phillips.
- Represented a bidder on the proposed acquisition of gas distribution networks in Brazil.
- Represented Total on the sale of its interest in the U.K. Continental gas interconnector to CDPQ.
- Represented Kuwait Energy on the acquisition of the Ukrainian gas assets of Cardinal Resources plc.
- Represented National Petroleum Corporation of Namibia (Namcor) on farm ins and farm outs for various offshore exploration rights and on the Kudu gas to power project.
- Represented Namcor on the proposed acquisition from an oil major of downstream petroleum businesses in Namibia and Botswana.
- Represented MOL Hungarian Oil and Gas on its $370m acquisition of Wintershall (UK North Sea) Limited, the holding company of a portfolio of North Sea interests, including non-operating interests in both the Sullom Voe Terminal and Brent Pipeline System.
- Represented Star Capital on its proposed acquisition of the U.K. Government pipeline and storage system (“GPSS”) from the Ministry of Defence.
- Represented COSCO on the acquisition of an interest in container port Red Sea Gateway Terminal in Saudi Arabia.
- Represented Angel Trains UK rolling stock operator in a corporate reorganisation and refinancing.
- Represented a sovereign wealth fund shareholder in relation to the £900m sale of interests in Angel Trains by AMP managed funds to PSP and Amber.
- Represented Readypower, rail services provider, on a corporate reorganisation.
- Represented Arcus Infrastructure Partners in the acquisition of an 85% interest in A1 Motorway in Poland and subsequent project restructuring.
- Represented the Hellenic Republic Asset Development Fund on its privatisation of Trainose SA, the Greek rail operator.
- Represented Brookfield Infrastructure on its consortium acquisition, together with Abertis Infrastructure, of a controlling stake in Arteris S.A., one of Brazil’s major toll road operators, for an amount in excess of €1bn and in the follow on take private offer.
- Represented AIM listed PME Africa Infrastructure Opportunities plc on its proposed reverse takeover of a South Africa-based train leasing company and the subsequent sale of its interest in the train leasing company to Principal Capital and tender offers to shareholders.
- Represented Aéroports de Paris on the $2bn acquisition of TAV Airport.
- Represented the management team on the management buyout of the €2.2bn Arcus European Infrastructure Fund including the Brisa toll road asset in Portugal.
- Represented Babcock and Brown Infrastructure on its $1bn acquisition by Brookfield Infrastructure and related sale of PD Ports to Brookfield.
- Represented Babcock & Brown Infrastructure on a £570m take private recommended offer for PD Ports plc.
- Represented Arcus Infrastructure Fund on the acquisition of a strategic stake in Forth Ports plc.
- Represented Infracapital on its acquisition of Red Funnel Ferries.
- Advising a financial investor on a bid for TCB Maritime Ports in Spain.
- Represented on the £300m listing of International Public Partnerships on the London Stock Exchange and further capital raisings.
- Represented Government Investment Corporation of Singapore on its €1bn investment in Sintonia Infrastructure Fund.
- Represented a financial investor in connection with proposed take private transactions relating to IWG plc and Merlin Entertainments plc.
- Represented Mapletree on its £417m acquisition of 25 student accommodation assets across England, Wales, and Scotland from Mansion Student Accommodation Fund.
- Represented City of London Corporation in the acquisition of the Barking Power Station site for £130m.
- Represented British Land on the £3bn consortium bid for Canary Wharf Estates plc.
- Represented Aldeasa on the £546m acquisition of World Duty Free.
- Represented Brake Bros plc on a strategic review and £433m recommended offer by Clayton Dubilier and Rice.
- Solicitor – England and Wales
- Solicitor – Hong Kong