Kristopher Knabe is of counsel in the Financial Services - Investigations, Regulatory, and Litigation group at Paul Hastings, and is based in the firm’s Chicago office. His practice focuses on representing institutions and individuals in a wide range of legal proceedings, including government enforcement actions, class action litigation, regulatory examinations, and internal investigations. He has represented banks, non-bank lenders, fintech companies and other financial services providers in enforcement matters before various federal and state agencies, including the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB); the Department of Justice (DOJ); federal and state bank regulators; the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD); and state attorneys general.
Mr. Knabe also advises clients on compliance with various federal and state banking and consumer finance statutes, including the Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act (RESPA), Truth in Lending Act (TILA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), Equal Credit Opportunity Act (ECOA), Fair Housing Act, Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), unfair or deceptive acts or practices (UDAP), unfair, deceptive, or abusive acts or practices (UDAAP), and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA).
- Loyola University Chicago, J.D., 2011
- George Washington University, B.A., 2004
Mr. Knabe’s representations, many of which are non-public, have included:
- Numerous banks and non-banks in CFPB examinations, investigations, and enforcement actions relating to business lines, which include mortgage origination and servicing, student lending and servicing, deposit products, and auto finance, including matters which were closed without further action
- A large lender, with numerous affiliates performing related services, in parallel investigations by several federal government agencies and a large group of state attorneys general
- Several banks and non-banks in fair lending investigations initiated by the DOJ, CFPB, and HUD
- Representing a major credit reporting bureau in a CFPB enforcement action alleging UDAAP and FCRA violations
- Representing banks and non-banks in CFPB investigations, enforcement action, and escalated supervisory matters alleging UDAAPs in the sale, marketing, and/or servicing of ancillary products
- Representing non-bank servicers in consumer protection investigations and enforcement actions brought by state attorneys general, including multistate groups
Engagement & Publications
- "Loan servicing in a rising risk environment", National Association of Federally-Insured Credit Unions, 2019 Bloomberg BNA
- "What's Driving Regulation of Auto Ancillary Products", 2016 Consumer Financial Services Answer Book
- "Telemarketing and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act" (2015 and 2016 editions)