Rick Kirkbride is a partner in the Real Estate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Century City office.
Mr. Kirkbride is also Chair of our Hospitality & Leisure practice group and brings 27 years of experience representing institutional real estate companies and capital providers in the acquisition, development, finance and operation of hotels, resorts, other hospitality properties, and businesses throughout North America, Latin America, the Caribbean, Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
- Named one of only two lawyers within "Band 1" of the list of "Leaders in their Field" for the Leisure & Hospitality by Chambers in 2007 (the first year for such category) and all subsequent rankings to date
- Named at various times over the last decade as one of the Top 100 lawyers (across all practice areas of law), one of the Top 10 Deal Makers in California as well as are of the top 50 development lawyers in California by both the Los Angeles and San Francisco Daily Journals as well as one of the Top 100 Lawyers in Los Angeles by the Los Angeles Business Journal
- Named Hospitality MVP by Law360
- Loyola Law School, J.D., 1983
- University of Southern California, B.A., 1979
- Baha Mar. Ltd., a resort hotel developer, in negotiating a series of management and other agreements with Hyatt Hotels Corporation, Morgans Hotel Group and Rosewood Hotels & Resorts, each of which will operate and manage different hotel developments at Baha Mar’s US$3.5 billion greenfield resort in the Bahamas, as well as the establishment of horizontal CC&Rs and vertical condominium regimes for boutique and luxury star branded residential offerings throughout the project.
- Dubai World in the formation of a joint venture between Dubai World and MGM that resulted in the US$8 billion development of CityCenter, the largest single phase construction project in the United States, consisting of a 4,000-room hotel-casino, retail complex, and several condominium towers located on the Las Vegas Strip, as well as the purchase of 9.5% of the stock in MGM Resorts International.
- Starwood Capital Group, L.P. represented Starwood Capital in hotel properties throughout the U.S. for over US$2 billion. Notably, we represented Starwood Capital on the US$735 million acquisition of Intown Suites, which owns 168 limited service real estate properties. The firm handled negotiation of the stock purchase agreement as well as difficult due diligence issues, including reviewing permits, licenses, and title issues and the assumption of over US$600 million of CMBS debt.
Engagement & Publications
- Has spoken on various hospitality topics over the last 20 years at seminars and conferences throughout the world, whose sponsors include the International Bar Association, Los Angeles County Bar Association, American Bar Association, UCLA, NYU, University of Houston’s Conrad N. Hilton College of Hotel and Restaurant Management, Northern Arizona University, Florida International University, Columbia University, University of Michigan, Continuing Legal Education Institute, and the International Management Network
- Written articles for, and is quoted frequently in, legal and hospitality industry-related magazines and newspapers
- Editor of Roadmap For Distressed Hospitality Assets: Navigating Through and Creating Opportunity During These Troubled Times, published in 2009
- Surveys of Hotel and Casino Development in Las Vegas and Macau, published in the 2008 Edition of Hotel Yearbook
- "Hotel Financing" was published in the Magazine Hotel Outlook in 2007
- "Mixed Use Resorts" was published in the book Hotel Investments – Issues & Perspectives, Fourth Edition, in 2005
- Adjunct Professor at Columbia University, School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation
- Member of the Law360 Hospitality Advisory Board
- Founder of the UCLA Real Estate Conference
- Instructor at UCLA on Hospitality Law
- General Counsel and Member of the Planning Committee of ALIS
- Member of ULI and immediate past Chair (and currently Vice Chair at Large) of its Hotel Development Council
- Member of New York Bar Association of Hotels, Restaurants & Tourism Committee
- Previously Full member of the International Society of Hospitality Consultants
- Previously served on the Planning Committee of the UCLA California Restaurant Industry Conference and the Steering Committee on China of the International Travel & Tourism Council
- Past Chair of the Timeshare Committee and Vice Chair of the Hospitality Committee of the American Bar Association
- Member of the Executive Committee of the Real Property Section of the Los Angeles County Bar Association and past Chair of its Real Estate Development Subsection.
- Certified Public Accountant (inactive)