Alexander Bongartz is of counsel in the Financial Restructuring group of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. His practice focuses primarily on corporate bankruptcy and restructuring matters, where he represents debtors, creditors, lenders, investors, and acquirers of assets in all aspects of bankruptcy and financial restructuring.
Mr. Bongartz received his J.D. degree from Harvard Law School in 2006 and his B.A. degree from Harvard University in 2002. He is a member of the Bar of the State of New York and the American Bankruptcy Institute. He is also admitted to practice before the Southern District of New York. Mr. Bongartz is fluent in German.
Mr. Bongartz has been significantly involved in the representation of debtors, creditors’ committees, secured lenders, and investors in the following restructuring matters:
- Furniture Brands International, Inc., et al. (Debtors)
- NewPage Corporation, et al. (Official Creditors’ Committee)
- Maxcom Telecomunicaciones, S.A.B. de C.V., et al. (Equity Investor)
- Contract Research Solutions, Inc., et al. (Debtors)
- Truvo USA LLC, et al. (Debtors)
- Semcrude, L.P., et al. (Creditor)
- Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc., et al. (Creditor)
Engagement & Publications
- Delaware Bankruptcy Court Affirms Lender’s Ability to Recover 37 Percent Make-Whole Premium, The Banking Law Journal, July/August 2013
- Setting a New Trend: Could Catalyst Paper Spawn a New Breed of Chapter 15 Cases for U.S. Debtors, Commercial Insolvency Reporter, August 2012
- Denying Disclosure Statements for an Unconfirmable Plan, Bankruptcy Law360, August 7, 2012