Associate, Litigation Department
ChicagoPhone: 1(312) 499-6059
Dave Coogan advises public and private clients in data privacy and cybersecurity litigation and investigatory matters. As a former military prosecutor who has tried cases before a jury, he has litigation experience that provides clients with an important perspective during internal investigations and in responding to privacy and cybersecurity regulators.
Mr. Coogan has helped clients from a variety of different industries with sensitive internal investigations including life sciences, technology, healthcare, and education companies. He conducted an internal investigation into a multinational information technology company’s supply chain. He has helped public traded companies respond to SEC investigations related to their cybersecurity practices.
Mr. Coogan is a Certified Information Privacy Professional by the International Association of Privacy Professionals.
He has counseled clients on privacy and data protection regulatory compliance, including compliance with HIPAA, GDPR, CCPA, and state privacy laws. Additionally, he helps clients design and implement privacy and information security programs.
Prior to joining Paul Hastings, Mr. Coogan served as a prosecutor and intelligence officer in the United States Marine Corps. As a prosecutor, he was assigned to the Marine Corps Complex Trial Team and prosecuted high profile and special victims cases. He continues to serve in the Marine Corps Reserve.
- Selected by The Best Lawyers in America as "One to Watch" for commercial litigation (2021, 2023)
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, J.D., 2014
- Michigan State University, B.A., 2007
Engagement & Publications
- Panelist, Veterans Career Fair, "Career Advice for Military Lawyers with More than Ten Years of Experience" (June 17, 2022)
- Moderator, International Association of Privacy Professionals, "Pennsylvania: The next state consumer privacy law?" (September 29, 2022)
- Presenter, International Law Institute, "State Actors, Cybercrime & Cybersecurity" (August 1, 2022)
- Presenter, International Law Institute, "Cybercrime & Cybersecurity Investigation and Enforcement in a U.S. Context" (August 8, 2022)
- Moderator, International Association of Privacy Professionals, "Privacy Litigation and Regulatory Developments in Pennsylvania" (May 5, 2022)
- Published in Duquesne Law Review
- IAPP KnowledgeNet Co-Chair