James Ferguson is an associate in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's New York office. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation and corporate investigations. Mr. Ferguson has experience representing clients in state and federal court on a variety of issues, including securities litigation, breach of contract actions, and real estate litigation. Mr. Ferguson also has both plaintiff-side and defense-side experience seeking temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions, as well as emergency appeals stemming from such relief.
Mr. Ferguson helps coordinate the firm’s pro bono partnership with Sanctuary for Families, and coaches high school students as part of the New York City Mentor Moot Court competition.
Mr. Ferguson received his law degree from Georgetown University Law Center in 2018, where he served as Executive Director of the Georgetown Law Barristers' Council and Assistant Director of Trial Advocacy. He earned a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science and Criminal Justice (summa cum laude) from the George Washington University in 2013. Mr. Ferguson is admitted to practice law in New York.
- In May 2020, secured a complete victory in defeating a preliminary injunction and lifting a TRO to allow our client to proceed with a UCC sale of pledged membership interests in connection with a defaulted mezzanine construction loan on a New York City project. The borrower sought injunctive relief on the basis that the sale was prohibited by Governor Cuomo's Executive Orders in effect during the COVID-19 pandemic, and that it was commercially unreasonable to proceed with the sale while N.Y. remained in a state of disaster emergency.
- Representing the Ad-Hoc Board of Directors of Petróleos de Venezuela (or PDVSA, of the Venezuela Guaido Administration) in connection with the multi-billion dollar litigation involving PDVSA's 2020 Bonds secured by the stock of its subsidiary CITGO in the United States.
- Representing the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico in multi-billion-dollar litigations relating to the Puerto Rico bankruptcy cases pending under the Puerto Rico Oversight, Management and Economic Stability Act.
- Representing property owner in breach of contract dispute over tenant’s breach of lease for use of development rights in neighboring building in New York.
- Representing international apparel and footwear company in breach of contract and trademark infringement action.
- Represented telecommunications provider debtor in the successful restructuring of its senior notes through a prepackaged Chapter 11 plan.
- Represented lender in state court action in which borrower affirmatively brought suit to avoid contractual obligations regarding performance of collateral.
- Represented minority lenders in state court injunction suit over majority lender’s attempts to restructure borrower to the detriment of minority lenders.
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Board Member, Knickerbocker Greys Veterans Corps