Jennifer St. John Yount is the co-chair of the Paul Hastings Global Finance practice. Ms. Yount is based in the firm’s New York office and leads a global team of finance and restructuring lawyers to service the firm’s clients. Before settling in New York, she practiced in the firm’s California offices.
While Ms. Yount has a strategic focus on private credit and specialty lenders in both cross-border and U.S.-focused transactions, Ms. Yount also represents a wide range of traditional and investment banks. Her work for both banks and nonbanks includes acquisition financings, cash-flow, asset-based lending, distressed credit, special situations, and restructurings. She represents clients in all parts of the capital structure – senior, junior, first lien, second lien, first out, last out, super-senior, and preferred equity.
Ms. Yount practiced in the bankruptcy courts before becoming a finance and restructuring lawyer. She has industry expertise in many business sectors, with a special focus on global software, technology and payment systems businesses, healthcare, retail, aircraft, automobiles, and in-transit inventory.
Ms. Yount is a thought leader in the finance industry and speaks widely on the market challenges facing both traditional and nonbank lenders.
- The Legal 500 USA, Commercial Lending (2021-2022)
- Chambers USA, Leading attorney for Banking and Finance: "She has an excellent command of the law while also understanding how to temper what is required from a legal perspective with business needs." Chambers USA 2022
- Banking and Finance Lawyer of the Year, Women in Business Law Awards (2022)
- The Legal 500, Finance - Commercial Lending: Advice to Lenders (2021)
- Chambers USA, Leading attorney for Banking and Finance:
- Jennifer "is one of the best attorneys in the direct lending field. She has a thorough grasp of market terms and knows how to dissect and analyze complicated, unique financing structures - she's a true pleasure to work with." Chambers USA 2020
- “Jennifer is often my first call when I have a legal question or topic, particularly complex issues. She knows how to get a deal done and is able to balance her extensive legal expertise with a business lens.” Chambers USA 2019
- Noted Practitioner in Banking and Finance. Chambers USA 2018
- Jennifer is “very adept at finding resolutions to complex situations or issues during negotiations.” Chambers USA 2017
- “[H]er demeanor when approaching negotiations and solutions is outstanding.” Chambers USA 2016
- “Jennifer's command of the law is beyond impressive. When she gets on the phone and I am against sophisticated counsel, she sets my mind at rest because I know I am going to be protected.” Chambers USA 2015
- Honored among Crain’s Notable Women in Law, a semi-annual series highlighting the top female lawyers in New York.
- The Secured Lender magazine – Leading Women in Asset-Based Finance
- M&A Advisor, 40 under 40 Award Winner
- Southwestern University School of Law, J.D.
- University of California Santa Barbara, B.A.
Engagement & Publications
- Paul Hastings Associate Training – Client Serve (Feb 2021)
- Private Debt Investor Round Table – How a Crises-Hit Market is Taking Shape (Dec 2020)
- Private Debt Investor Round Table - Paul Hastings: Covid-19 forces managers to be more creative (Oct 2020)
- Credit Agreements – Client Presentation (Sep 2020)
- Asset Based Lending – Strafford Presentation (May 2020)
- Forbearance Agreements – Paul Hastings M&A Academy (Apr 2020)
- Software Restructurings – Client Presentation (Dec 2019)
- Paul Hastings Associate Training – Client Panel on the Importance of Client Service (Oct 2019)
- Private Debt Investor – Guggenheim, Alliance Bernstein, and Vista Debt Fund – Software and Healthcare Lending (Sept 2019)
- Paul Hastings Client Panel – Wells Fargo, RBC, and Bridgewater (Mar 2019)
- Private Debt Investor – Client Panel – Structures and Market Trends (Sept 2018)
- Emerging Structures in Asset-Based Lending: The Tension Between Innovation and Risk – The Secured Lender (Jan/Feb 2018)
- The Real Deal on Retail – Panel on Retail Finance – Paul Hastings Breakfast Briefing in New York (Nov 2017)
- Unitranche 3.0 – What You Don’t Know About the Evolving Unitranche Market? – Private Debt Investor Forum in New York (Sept 2017)
- The Convergence Between Large Cap and Middle Markets – Debtwire Middle Market Private Credit Forum in Los Angeles (July 2017)
- Intercreditor Structures: A Comparison of U.S. and U.K. Law – The Loan Market Association in London (Mar 2017)
- Cross-border Deals – Private Debt Investor Forum in London (Nov 2016)
- Borrower in Distress? A Toolbox for Secured Lenders – The Secured Lender (Oct 2016)
- Evaluating Key Intercreditor Arrangements: First Lien/Second Lien, Split Collateral, Senior/Mezzanine, and Unitranche Structures – Strafford Webinar (Jul 2016)
- Reading Between the Liens: An Inside Look at Current Trends in the Credit Markets – Paul Hastings Breakfast Briefing in New York (May 2016)
- RadioShack – Bankruptcy Court Implicitly Recognizes Enforceability of Agreement Among Lenders But Limits Coverage of First Out Contingent Indemnification Claims – Paul Hastings Client Alert (May 2015)
- Predictions for Intercreditor Arrangements in 2015 and Beyond – The Devil Really is in the Details – The Secured Lender (Apr 2015)
- Intercreditor Arrangements – Reading Between the Liens – LSTA Webinar (Jan 2015)
- Speaking engagements at banking and lending institutions, including:
- Structural Considerations in Acquisition Financings
- Insolvency and Restructuring: A Comparison of U.K. and U.S. Law
- Breaking Down Borders: Cross-border Deals and Blurring Lines between U.S. and Europe
- Interlender Topics and Trends: Intercreditor Agreements, Subordination Agreements, and Agreements Among Lenders
- Middle Market vs. Large Market Deals: Converging Markets
- Unitranche Structures
- Equity Co-Invest: How to Protect Your Minority Investment
- Secured Finance Network (formerly the Commercial Finance Association)
- Private Debt Investor
- Loan Syndications & Trading Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- Shane’s Inspiration – Inclusive Playgrounds and Programs for Children
- Institute for Educational Advancement