Matthew Morantz is an associate in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. He maintains a litigation and arbitration practice focused on complex international commercial and patent disputes.
Mr. Morantz, a dual common- and civil-law trained attorney, has served as counsel in litigation or arbitration across five continents. He has successfully represented clients in over 25 arbitration proceedings under the rules of the ICC, AAA/ICDR, LCIA, SIAC, ICSID, SCC, and UNCITRAL.
Prior to attending law school, Mr. Morantz clerked with the Canadian Intellectual Property Office, and worked in the Department of Chemistry at McGill University, where he undertook organic synthesis and nanomaterials research.
- Columbia Law School, LL.M., 2017 (Stone Scholar; Editor, Journal of Transnational Law)
- Institut d'etudes politiques de Paris (Sciences Po), J.D.-equivalent, 2014 (Managing Editor, Law Review)
- Concordia University, B.Sc. in Chemistry, 2009 (with Distinction)
- Mr. Morantz is admitted to the New York Bar, as well as to the bars of the U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York; the U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Federal Circuits; and the U.S. Court of International Trade.
- Representing a Japanese pharmaceutical company in a multibillion-dollar ICC arbitration arising from a licensing dispute.
- Representing a Japanese pharmaceutical company in a multibillion-dollar AAA/ICDR arbitration, with parallel U.S. court litigation, concerning IP rights under a cross-border collaboration and licensing agreement.
- Representing a Japanese pharmaceutical company in a high-stakes AAA/ICDR arbitration, with parallel U.S. and U.K. court litigation, arising from a dispute involving complex issues of New York contract law, U.S. and EU patent law, and international law.
- Representing a multinational insurance company in litigation before the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York to confirm and enforce a multimillion-dollar international arbitration award.
Engagement & Publications
- Author, "Chapter 12: Tribunal-Mandated Conferencing of Valuation Experts in Investment Arbitration," Investment Treaty Arbitration and International Law (Juris Publishing 2019)
- Co-Author, "On the edge of your CETA: new developments in ISDS reform" (Practical Law 2016)
- Author, "Synthesis, Nanostructural and Electronic Characterization of Anthracenedicarboximide Derivatives," Trends in Nanotechnology International Conference (11th ed., 2010)
- Author, "Scalable, Single-Step Strategy Generates Processable Nacre-Mimetic Films with Remarkable Materials Properties," Materials Research Society Bulletin (2010)
- Co-Chair, International Council for Commercial Arbitration Under-40 Section (Young ICCA)
- Task Force Member, ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR