Michael Nytzen is a senior land use project manager in the Real Estate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Los Angeles office.
Mr. Nytzen has over 25 years in public and private sector planning, and provides advice regarding local planning and zoning regulations and related environmental matters; state land use regulations, including the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), the California Subdivision Map Act, and the California Coastal Act; and other local, state, and federal planning and zoning statutes. He handles a range of environmental and land use matters, including preparing and processing environmental documents and land use entitlements, managing and coordinating technical consultants, and coordinating with public agency officials.
- Occidental College, A.B. in Urban Studies, 1985
Representative projects for which Mr. Nytzen has had a significant role in obtaining entitlements include:
- redevelopment of Victoria Golf Course in Carson, California with 510,000 square feet of privately-operated recreational and ancillary commercial uses, including an enhanced driving range and traditional golf practice facility and a multi-use sports facility, for Plenitude Holdings;
- the 405,000-square-foot, 203-bed new patient tower at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, in order to facilitate the seismic retrofit of the existing hospital buildings;
- the 269,000-square-foot, 160-bed Cedars-Sinai Marina Del Rey Hospital, which will replace the existing hospital building with a new, state-of-the-art acute care hospital tower, in compliance with the Alfred E. Alquist Hospital Facilities Seismic Safety Act;
- the 330,000-square-foot mixed use high-rise development designed by Frank Gehry at the gateway to the Sunset Strip in Los Angeles, California, and the redevelopment of the iconic former International Creative Management Agency headquarters building in West Hollywood, California, for Townscape Partners;
- the 1,230,000-square-foot Wilshire Grand project in Downtown Los Angeles for Korean Air;
- the University of Southern California University Park Campus Specific Plan for 5,230,000 square feet of commercial, educational and residential facilities in Los Angeles;
- the Beverly Hilton Specific Plan, for the addition of the Waldorf Astoria hotel and condominiums to and the renovation of the Beverly Hilton hotel property in Beverly Hills, California;
- the renovation and expansion of the Hotel Bel-Air in Los Angeles;
- the renovation and modernization of Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles;
- the 20,000 seat Staples Center arena in Downtown Los Angeles, home of the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers and Los Angeles Kings;
- the 700,000-square-foot master plan for Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, the largest private hospital in the western United States;
- the 500,000-square-foot headquarters campus of DreamWorks Animation in Glendale, California.
- the 280,000 square foot Entrada creative office project for The Carlyle Group in Culver City, California;
- ongoing renovations and master plan for the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza shopping center in Los Angeles, for Capri Capital Partners;
- the Jordan Downs Specific Plan for the redevelopment of the Jordan Downs public housing complex, for the Housing Authority of the City of Los Angeles;
- The Enclave at Century Woods, a luxury single-family community in Century City, for JMB Realty Corporation;
- the renovation of the Hearst Corporation’s historic Herald Examiner Building and associated 587-unit high-rise condominium development in Downtown Los Angeles;
- the renovation and expansion of the 1.6 million square foot Westfield Topanga shopping center, in Woodland Hills, California;
- the Galen Center and Athletic Pavilion, a 10,260 seat, 300,000 square foot sports venue at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles;
- the 2000 Avenue of the Stars office building, an 800,000 square foot Class “A” office building on the site of the former ABC Entertainment Center in Century City, California;
- the 460,000 square foot patient tower and 75,000 square foot Saban Research Building for Children’s Hospital Los Angeles;
- the 385,000 square foot graduate school campus and 185,000 square feet of infill development at Pepperdine University’s Malibu Campus;
- the restoration and renovation of the historic Hotel Casa del Mar in Santa Monica, California, for the Edward Thomas Companies; and
- the 1,000,000-square-foot Getty Center in Brentwood, California, for the J. Paul Getty Trust.