Navi Dhillon is recognized as one of the leading lawyers under 40 in the United States. He is a trusted advisor to diverse clients ranging from investment funds (private equity, hedge funds) to infrastructure, renewable energy, agriculture, timber, mining and technology companies. Navi combines deep knowledge of complex regulatory schemes and elite litigation experience with keen business judgment to help businesses solve their most important problems. He has served as lead counsel in matters with an aggregate amount at stake in excess of $15 billion.
Mr. Dhillon regularly advises clients on a range of sensitive business concerns, from securities, corporate governance, and water pollution, to class actions, fraud, and land use. He handles all aspects of civil litigation in federal and state courts across the United States for prominent and controversial matters.
Outside the courtroom, Navi is a highly-skilled negotiator and regularly handles complex transactions for clients seeking to create and expand business opportunities in emerging areas, such as cryptocurrencies and NFTs. As lead counsel, he has defended multiple high-stakes preliminary injunction proceedings and litigated a range of cases to judgment.
Navi is a go-to lawyer for clients seeking difficult regulatory approvals for large-scale projects, including utility-scale renewable energy, utility-scale desalination, and other major infrastructure projects around the globe.
- "Top 40 Under 40," The Daily Journal, 2020
- "Rising Star," Law 360, 2017
- University of California, Hastings, J.D., magna cum laude, 2011
- University of San Francisco, B.A., 2005
- Defend renewable companies in lawsuits challenging 3,500 MW solar projects.
- Represent hedge fund (largest institutional investor) in Delaware appraisal litigation involving $15 billion go-private transaction.
- Represent Canadian supplier in connection with North American contract negotiations involving mass-timber supply contracts for new, sustainable corporate campuses (e.g., Google, Microsoft).
- Advise client in connection with development of 800-MW renewable energy project with associated battery storage.
- Defend municipality in lawsuit involving development of casino and claim for more than $750 million in damages.
- Advise client in connection with development of the world’s largest battery- energy storage system (BESS).
- Defend client in lawsuit challenging development of utility-scale desalination facility.
- Represent developer in connection with new, net-zero sustainable town.
- Defend leading natural resources company in lawsuit alleging timber- harvesting activities across more than 300,000 acres will result in unlawful take.
- Represent two hedge funds in plaintiff-side fraud suit in the Southern District of New York against Greek shipping company.
- Advised developer in securing critical regulatory approvals for state-of-the-art marina near Stanford University and entitlements for new hotel on the San Francisco Bay.
- Represent county and landowner in connection with public nuisance and air pollution lawsuits involving a 900-acre rock quarry located in Napa County.
- Represent developer in multiple land use lawsuits against the City of Berkeley involving takings challenges to monetary exactions.
- Represent client in a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit against the United States Department of the Interior that resulted in termination of a federal rulemaking process.
- Defend global wine companies in tort and contract lawsuit involving California vineyard and cutting-edge viticultural practices.
- Advise client in connection with development and defense of regulatory program for “commuter shuttle buses” to facilitate sustainable transportation of technology employees located in San Francisco Bay Area.
- Represent water district with nearly 2,000 miles of pipelines in connection with Clean Water Act lawsuit in Southern California.
- Represent developer in connection with preliminary injunction proceedings in federal and state court initiated by environmental groups seeking to block construction of utility-scale solar project.
- Represent leading rooftop solar energy companies in lawsuit challenging decision of Nevada Public Utilities Commission to curb “net metering” program.
- Represent more than 30 companies, including industry-leading cosmetics brands, in Proposition 65 involving titanium dioxide (airborne, unbound particles of respirable size).
- Represent organization in multiple mandamus lawsuits seeking to block construction at the historic Sharp Park Golf Course.
- Represent developer in connection with California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) lawsuit brought by environmental groups to block construction of a 247-MW solar photovoltaic facility.
- Represent organization in lawsuit against National Park Service for approving a large-scale project without first complying with the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act.
Engagement & Publications
- Speaker, Silicon Valley General Counsel Association’s All Hands Meeting
- Member, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Member, McFetridge American Inn of Court
- Coach, high school mock trial
- Law Clerk, Honorable John E. Munter, San Francisco Superior Court's Complex Civil Litigation Department
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Charles R. Breyer, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- Law Clerk, Civil Division, United States Attorney's Office in San Francisco