Pablo Clarke is a partner in the Real Estate practice at Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s Los Angeles office. Mr. Clarke advises clients on a full complement of real estate and finance transactions, including mortgage and mezzanine financing, preferred equity transactions, corporate REIT financing, acquisitions and dispositions, acquisition financing, joint ventures, and commercial leasing.
He helps private equity firms, investors, REITs, and financial institutions on matters across a variety of real estate asset classes, including office, industrial, raw land, retail, hospitality, single and multifamily developments, and medical.
For lenders – including investors, mortgage REITs, private equity firms, and financial institutions – investing and lending up and down the capital stack, he advises on mortgage lending (CMBS and non-CMBS), construction financing, revolving borrowing base loans, mezzanine loans, preferred equity investments, and joint ventures.
Mr. Clarke advises REITs and financial institutions on the origination and ongoing management of corporate credit products such as secured and unsecured term and revolving credit facilities, private placement notes, acquisition financing, and property-level financing.
With developer and investor clients, Mr. Clarke negotiates and documents purchase and sale agreements, joint ventures, ground leases, and Easements (primarily for the construction, development, and repositioning of real property).
He brings a broad understanding of real estate investment drawn from his previous experience as general counsel for a real estate focused private equity firm as well as from serving as an attorney-advisor for the United States Department of Housing & Urban Development on the acquisition, construction, and repurposing of multifamily units in the affordable housing and healthcare industries.
- The Legal 500 US, Named a Rising Star for Real Estate, 2019-2020
- MBA, University of California, Berkeley, 2014
- JD, University of Arizona, 2008
- BA, Princeton University, 2000
Mr. Clarke’s representative matters include advising:
- A debt fund in the origination of a US$72 million mezzanine construction loan for the development of a Ritz Carlton branded resort and community
- A private equity fund for a land loan for multifamily development in San Jose, California
- A private equity lender in connection with the origination of a US$30 million mortgage loan secured by a hotel in Orlando
- A real estate debt platform in connection with the origination of a US$194 million mortgage and mezzanine loan for a development of a luxury condominium in San Francisco
- A storage REIT in the development and launch of a mortgage and mezzanine lending platform
- An institutional bank with a US$100 million commitment for a secured borrowing base revolving loan to a single family housing aggregator
- A healthcare REIT in connection with the origination of a US$10 million mezzanine loan secured by skilled nursing facilities
- A medical office investor in connection with obtaining a US$50 million mezzanine loan agreement for a new medical office acquisition
- A privately held cold storage company in connection with the origination of a US$1.32 billion portfolio CMBS mortgage loan
- A hotel REIT in connection with the origination of a US$220 million single asset CMBS mortgage loan
- An industrial owner and operator in connection with a US$11 million preferred equity offering
- An office REIT for the acquisition financing of a class A office building in Seattle
- A digital storage company in connection with a deed in lieu of foreclosure
- A self-storage REIT in connection with a US$200 million increase in its credit facility
- An industrial/logistics REIT in connection with a secured revolving credit facility of up to US$100 million
- An industrial REIT in an upsize and amendment to its US$700 million revolving credit facility and US$150 million term loan facility
- A triple net REIT in connection with a US$650 million term and revolving credit facility
- A restaurant properties REIT in connection with its private placement of US$100 million of senior unsecured notes
- An office REIT in connection with a US$1.1 billion unsecured revolving credit facility
- A self-storage REIT in connection with a US$500 million secured term and revolving credit facility
- A hospitality REIT in connection with a US$150 million junior unsecured indenture
- A data center REIT in connection with the recast of its US$3.5 billion corporate term loan and revolving credit facilities
- A non-traded mortgage REIT in connection with a US$350 million secured corporate term loan financing
-An industrial REIT in connection with the origination of a US$250 million unsecured corporate term loan
- A publicly traded REIT focused on owning and operating temperature-controlled warehouses on its US$1.74 billion acquisition by a real estate investment fund
- A hotel REIT in connection with the restructuring of their corporate term and revolving credit facilities
- A data center REIT in connection with the financing of a US$3 billion acquisition of a Brazilian data center company
General Real Estate Matters
- A hotel owner and operator in connection with the purchase and subsequent sale of an independent hotel in New York City
- A joint venture with a major league baseball team for the purchase and redevelopment of various properties
- A major soccer team in connection with a ground lease and various easement agreements for the development of its digital signage
- A nonprofit in connection with the acquisition of an urban site to build affordable “tiny” homes
- A privately held medical office company in developing a borrowing base platform to scale
- An industrial REIT in connection with the disposition of an urban warehouse
- Member, the Urban Land Institute – Capital Markets Group
- Member, the CRE Finance Counsel
- Advisory Board Member, the GEANCO Foundation