Thaddeus J. Malik (Thad) is a partner in the Mergers & Acquisitions practice at Paul Hastings. Based in the Chicago office, his principal practice areas are mergers and acquisitions, securities, and corporate governance. Representative clients have included Baker Hughes, Boeing, GE, General Dynamics, Madison Dearborn Partners, Rush Street Gaming and Wolters Kluwer.
Mr. Malik represents both acquirors and sellers in a wide range of private and public company mergers and acquisitions, strategic investments, and joint ventures, including cross-border transactions throughout the EU and China. Formerly a member of the legal department of a Fortune 100 company, as well as the general counsel of a publicly traded IT services company, Mr. Malik has substantial experience in a variety of industries, including defense and aerospace, healthcare/life sciences, software development, and gaming. He also advises boards of directors, including audit and special committees (both transactional and investigative).
- Recognized in the Mergers & Acquisitions category by Chambers
- Recommended in The Legal 500
- Recognized in Martindale-Hubbell®, AV Peer Review Rated
- Recognized in Illinois Super Lawyers
- Recognized in Lawdragon magazine’s list of "500 Leading Dealmakers"
- Law360, " No Sign Of A Summer M&A Slowdown In Sight" – Quoted in an article regarding the M&A climate in the summer of 2021. "We're in a sweet spot for M&A activity," noting the continuing prevalence of representation and warranty insurance, pent-up demand from deal-hungry corporations, and the hefty pile of private equity dry powder as just a few of the factors driving this year's M&A boom. "There are five or so ingredients right now that all add up to an extremely active M&A market," he said. "But if you change two or three of those ingredients — whether that's tax reform or increasing antitrust scrutiny under the Biden administration — that might no longer be the case."
- Mergers and Acquisitions, " Aon-Willis Failed Merger Signals More Antitrust Scrutiny for Big Deals" – Quoted in an article regarding increased antitrust scrutiny on M&A transactions. "Recent developments shouldn’t be surprising as it relates to regulatory scrutiny of deals—particularly larger deals where there is perceived market concentration. Regulatory developments often follow a predictable path. An expectation arises, as it did after the election, then official pronouncements are made, as illustrated by the recent presidential order. Then specific actions manifest themselves, as has happened with some recent deals being questioned, with some being abandoned."
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1991 (cum laude)
- Northwestern University, B.A., 1988 (with distinction, Phi Beta Kappa)
Representing purchasers, sellers, and boards of directors on transactions that include:
- The sale of a credit information and data analytics business to one of the three major consumer credit bureaus
- The acquisition of a producer of flexible pipe for the oil and gas industry, leveraging proprietary substances and manufacturing techniques
- The disposition of a software development and analytics business supporting value-based healthcare initiatives
- Serving as lead counsel for the disposition of a transportation-focused technology business with operations in 20+ countries in a complex carve-out
- The sale of a cancer diagnostic and testing business, and the related negotiation of investor rights as a result of becoming a significant owner in the publicly-traded purchaser
- The disposition of a leading manufacturer of patient monitoring consumables utilizing a novel structure and deferred closings for various of the 25+ jurisdictions where the business had operations
- The purchase of a machine-learning powered data analytics business
- The acquisition of a provider of cloud-based software solutions for a range of transportation initiatives
- The divestiture of a healthcare technology business to an SIX Swiss Exchange-listed company
- The disposition of an enterprise mobile applications and technologies business to a multinational purchaser, in an intellectual property intensive transaction that also involved CFIUS review and related protocols
- Advising on the formation and operation of, as well as the exit from, various joint ventures and commercial relationships throughout the world and spanning various industries (including data analytics, the development of titanium alloys using proprietary IP processes, jet engines, and an integrated retail business etc.)
Acquisitions and dispositions of various defense and aerospace businesses, including:
- The private equity-backed developer of an integrated flight app used in the commercial and private sectors of the aviation industry
- A controlling interest in a business that develops and produces a range of flight data and communications products, including wireless quick access recorders, on-board network systems and satellite data connectivity
- The manufacturer of ruggedized components and technology used in various defense platforms, in a cross-border transaction involving CFIUS, FOCI, ITAR and UK MoD complications
- A controlling interest in a business developing VTOL aircraft
- A business that develops, licenses and supports software with commercial and governmental applications in the transportation sector
- The developer of software and related data for use in various maritime businesses in a cross-border transaction involving a complex carve-out
- The manufacturer of airframe components used on both military and commercial platforms
- The manufacturer of interior components and parts for various commercial aircraft platforms
- A manufacturer and integrator of space systems, satellites and ground-support equipment
- A developer of battlefield information collection and reporting software systems
Full range of domestic and cross-border acquisitions and divestitures for a leading information, software and services provider, including transactions involving SaaS providers, data informatics and analytics businesses, as well as software developers focused on the GRC and enterprise legal management sectors
Advise on the full range of transactional matters with respect to gaming operations, including the development, operation and acquisition/disposition of land-based facilities in Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, New Jersey, New York, Nevada and Pennsylvania, as well as ancillary online gaming initiatives and offshore technology development and investments
Representing bidders, targets and independent committees overseeing public company acquisitions, including private equity backed take-private transactions
Representing various leading private equity funds on a range of acquisitions and dispositions, including the establishment of a joint venture with a highly-regarded management team to pursue opportunities in the federal government technology services and solutions market
Engagement & Publications
- Interviewed on Bloomberg’s podcast titled "Lyft Reports Earnings, Looking Ahead to Uber"
- Quoted in Law360’s article titled "No Sign Of A Summer M&A Slowdown in Sight"
- Mentioned in The Deal’s article titled "Private Briefing: Wheel Pros Rides Wave of Dividend Recaps"
- Panelist on Paul Hastings’ webinar titled "M&A in the Post-Pandemic World"
- Panelist on Strafford’s CLE webinar titled "Structuring M&A Transactions In The Wake Of Covid-19: Deal Points, Financing Concerns, MAC Clauses, Reps And Warranties"
- Frequent speaker at various programs and institutes, including the Practising Law Institute’s Preparation of Annual Disclosure Documents, as well as the Ray Garrett Corporate & Securities Law Institute (including as a Planning Committee Member) and Northwestern Law School’s Corporate Counsel Institute
- Frequent contributor to various corporate governance and M&A publications
- Interviewed on thecorporatecounsel.com and quoted in The Wall Street Journal
- Appeared in The Corporate Legal Times and The Daily Deal commenting on corporate governance matters
- Member of the National Association of Corporate Directors
- Board member and counsel to The First Tee of Greater Chicago, TimeLine Theater, The Illinois PGA Foundation, and The Elmhurst Children’s Assistance Foundation