Todd Schwartz is a partner in the Corporate practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s San Francisco and Palo Alto offices. His practice focuses on strategic and private equity mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital fund formation and operation, minority and venture capital investments, carveouts, and in and out of court restructuring and distressed investments. Mr. Schwartz represents companies as well as private equity funds in all aspects of their businesses.
Mr. Schwartz regularly advises boards of directors and senior management regarding their fiduciary duties and corporate governance. Mr. Schwartz has advised borrowers, creditors, and distressed investors in acquisitions, out-of-court restructurings, and chapter 11 cases.
Mr. Schwartz has been noted for his “incredible professionalism and ability,” for being a “terrific” lawyer, and his “extremely hard” work. He has further been noted for “creative, out-of-the-box thinking” and follow-on execution. His work has been recognized by the Turnaround Management Association for doing an “incredible job” resulting in an “"extraordinary achievement" for his client.
Mr. Schwartz received a B.A. with majors in Integrative Biology and Legal Studies from the University of California, Berkeley. He received his J.D. from the University of Illinois College of Law, where he graduated magna cum laude, was a member of the University of Illinois Law Review, and editor for the Comparative Labor Law & Policy Journal. Mr. Schwartz is admitted to practice in California, Illinois, and Texas.
Admitted to Practice in the following venues:
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Illinois
- State Bar of Texas
- United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court, Northern District of California
- United States District Court, Southern District of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D. (magna cum laude)
University of California, Berkeley, B.A.
Engagement & Publications
- Co-author, Client Alert, Tenants Take Caution, Ninth Circuit Allows Bankrupt Landlord to Sell Property Free and Clear of Leases, September 2017
- Panelist, LES Houston Chapter Meeting, IP License-Extinguishing "Free & Clear" Sales in Bankruptcy, January 2017
- Co-author, Client Alert, Recent SEC Enforcement Action Merits a Second Look by Private Equity Firms and Fundless Sponsors at Broker-Dealer Registration, June 2016
- Inaugural Member, Advisory Committee, The Deal
- Co-author, International Financial Law Review, Foreign Direct Investment Report 2014, US Chapter (2014)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Illinois College of Law, Fall 2010
- Visiting Professor, University of Illinois College of Law, Spring 2009
- The Honnold Foundation
- Tse Chi Ling – Center for Tibetan Buddhist Studies in San Francisco, California