Thomas A. Counts
Partner, Litigation Department
San FranciscoPhone: 1(415) 856-7077
Tom Counts is a partner in the IP and Complex Litigation practice groups. He is based in the firm’s San Francisco office.
Mr. Counts’ practice focuses on complex business and technology litigation and trial practice, with an emphasis on intellectual property disputes, privacy and data security law, trade secret litigation, trademark, false advertising and unfair competition litigation, licensing litigation, competitive business torts, and litigation stemming from failed joint venture agreements. He has substantial experience obtaining and opposing demands for prejudgment remedies, including writs of attachment, temporary restraining orders, and preliminary injunctions. Mr. Counts has conducted numerous arbitrations and mediations, and has successfully briefed and argued appeals before both the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the California Court of Appeal.
- University of California, Berkeley (Boalt Hall), JD, 1990
- Stanford University, MA, 1984
- Stanford University, AB, 1983
- Align Technology, Inc. – Represent maker of Invisalign invisible braces in multiple litigation matters, including three International Trade Commission matters involving patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation by foreign competitor.
- WideOpenWest – Represent Illinois Internet Service Provider in privacy class action litigation alleging ECPA and related-claims stemming from behavioral advertising program.
- Leading Electronic Device Manufacturer – Represent Company in multiple class action matters involving allegations of hardware product defects and warranty claims, false advertising, and privacy claims involving collection of personal information during e-commerce transactions.
- Hitachi GST – Represent Hitachi in litigation involving failed joint venture involving development of 100+ acre South San Jose property.
Engagement & Publications
- Presenter at 2012 Bridgeport program on privacy litigation and privacy policies
- Presenter at annual PLI Intellectual Property Law Institute on recent developments in trade secret law
- Presenter at PLI program on Trade Secret Litigation and Employee Mobility
- After leaving the partnership at another firm and immediately prior to joining Paul Hastings in 2003, Mr. Counts was Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel of a venture-backed e-commerce application software company and Founder of a venture-backed enterprise software development company.
- Vice Chair, Bishop O'Dowd High School Board of Directors
- Editor, High Technology Law Journal (University of California, Berkeley (Boalt Hall) 1988-90)
- Former high school teacher and administrator