Chad Peterman is a partner in the Intellectual Property practice at Paul Hastings and based in the firm’s New York office. Mr. Peterman is a skilled trial attorney with a practice that focuses on patent and antitrust litigation with an emphasis on the electrical engineering and pharmaceutical arts. He has been involved in all phases of litigation from pre-suit investigation/strategy through appeal. Mr. Peterman has represented major software, telecommunications, semiconductor, and medical equipment companies in patent litigations. He has also represented major pharmaceutical companies in complex ANDA litigations, antitrust litigations, arbitrations, and mediations. In addition to litigation, Mr. Peterman also represents companies in intellectual property transactional matters, including rendering patent opinions and negotiating a variety of intellectual property agreements.
- Recognized by IAM 1000 (2021).
- Recognized by Legal 500 (2021).
- Listed in Managing Intellectual Property magazine’s "IP Stars" for New York and among its "Life Sciences Stars" in North America.
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1999
- Princeton University, B.S.E., 1995
- Representing major pharmaceutical company in an ANDA patent litigation concerning an anti-obesity drug.
- Representing major pharmaceutical company in an ANDA patent litigation concerning a gastrointestinal drug.
- Successfully represented a major medical device company in patent litigation relating to sutures and joint replacement.
- Secured judgment for major pharmaceutical company in an ANDA patent litigation involving proton pump inhibitors following bench trial on patent validity and inequitable conduct.
- Successfully defended a nationwide leader in medical diagnostic testing services in patent litigation involving automated medical expert systems.
- Successfully represented a major pharmaceutical company in a series of ANDA patent litigations involving cholesterol drugs.
- Obtained judgment of non-infringement in favor of multinational software company in a multipatent case relating to communication encryption technology. The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed the decision.
- Successfully represented major elevator manufacturer in patent litigation relating to "smart" elevator technology.
- Obtained summary judgment of patent invalidity in favor of one of the world’s largest software companies in patent litigation relating to speech recognition and database search technologies.
- Successfully represented a wireless network solutions company in patent litigation relating to geo-location technologies.
- Obtained favorable settlements for one of the world’s largest electrical engineering and electronics companies in patent litigations involving digital imaging equipment and techniques, data compression, and resource scheduling technologies.
- Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement in favor of one of the world’s largest software companies in patent litigation involving personal computers. The United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit affirmed decision.
- Successfully defended a major pharmaceutical company in coordinated antitrust cases arising out of ANDA patent litigation.
- Routinely provides strategic intellectual property counseling.
- Negotiated and drafted joint venture and intellectual property license agreement on behalf of major fiberoptic company relating to equipment development.
- Negotiated and drafted broadcasting rights agreement on behalf of a regional cable television network to license professional sports games to local television stations.
- Performed intellectual property audits to identify patentable inventions for a major finance company.
- Paul Hastings’ Intellectual Property Practice Continues Year of Remarkable Rankings with New IAM 1000 Accolades and Additional IP Stars Recognitions - July 2nd, 2021
- 폴 헤이스팅스, 2019년 IAM Patent 1000 (IAM 특허 1000) 에서 부상 - June 7th, 2019
- 폴 헤이스팅스, 2019년 매니징 IP(Managing IP)의 아메리카즈 어워즈(Americas Awards) 수상 - April 8th, 2019
Engagement & Publications
- Panelist, "Perspectives from In-House Counsel: Insights and Best Practices to Effectively Manage ITC Actions," American Conference Institute’s 13th Annual Practitioners’ Think-Tank on ITC Litigation & Enforcement (2021)
- Panelist, "New Developments Impacting Professional Responsibility in the Biologic Arena," American Conference Institute’s 12th Summit on Biosimilars & Innovator Biologics (2021)
- Panelist, "The Limits of Zealous Representation: Exceptional Case, Patent Misuse, and Antitrust," NJIPLA 2021 Annual Patent Litigation Webinar Series (2021)
- Panelist, "The Economics of Biosimilars: Considerations for Market Access, Sustainable Pricing and Reimbursement Policies," American Conference Institute’s 11th Summit on Biosimilars & Innovator Biologic (2020)
- Panelist, Recent Developments, Trends, and Statistics in Biologics, ANDA (Hatch-Waxman) and Medical Device Litigation in the U.S. (2018)
- Panelist, "Biologics and Biosimilars: The Front Lines," Federal Circuit Bench & Bar® Conference (2018)
- Panelist, "And They’re Off: The Start of the Paragraph IV Law Suit - Pleadings and Other Initial Considerations and Analyses," 6th Annual ACI Paragraph IV Disputes Conference (2012)
- Co-Author, "IP Audits: Making the Most of Your Intellectual Property," Intellectual Property Today (May 2011)