David Evan Weiss
Associate, Litigation Department
New YorkPhone: 1(212) 318-6823
David Weiss is an Associate in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s New York office. His practice focuses on all aspects of commercial litigation, compliance counseling, and white collar investigations, including under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and other anti-bribery and anti-corruption ("ABAC") laws. Mr. Weiss has conducted investigations and advised clients across industries, with particular focus on the life sciences sector. His experience includes conducting risk assessments, transactional anti-corruption due diligence and integration, and internal and government investigations throughout the United States, Europe, Latin America, Africa, and the Middle East.
Mr. Weiss received his law degree from Columbia Law School, where he served as Development Editor of the Columbia Law Review. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, cum laude, from the University of Pennsylvania. Mr. Weiss is admitted to practice law in New York.
- Conducting proactive compliance reviews on behalf of a multinational rare disease company in Canada, Colombia, the Netherlands, Turkey, Spain, Portugal, the Nordics, and Central and Eastern European markets, and assisting the Company in its resolution negotiations of an FCPA matter before the DOJ and SEC
- Conducting risk assessments, program reviews, and third party assessments on behalf of bio-pharmaceutical and medical device companies, with focus on potential enforcement / compliance risks
- Reviewing, developing / enhancing, and implementing global compliance programs (e.g., employee manuals, policies, procedures, and guidelines) to mitigate risks
- Conducting pre- and post-close ABAC due diligence and post-close integration efforts in connection with a billion-plus-dollar acquisition of a multinational pharmaceutical company
- Conducted internal investigations on behalf of a large insurance company relating to allegations of Medicare Risk Adjustment fraud in violation of the False Claims Act
- Conducted a global assessment of the ABAC compliance program and related financial controls of a Fortune 15 telecommunications, media, and entertainment company
- Represented audit committee of a technology company in connection with an internal investigation involving the company’s contractual arrangements, including the related accounting treatment, financial reporting, and internal controls
- Conducted internal investigations on behalf of multinational technology companies involving potential violations of the FCPA in Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East
- Represented a state-owned energy company in South America in an internal and government investigation of a multi-hundred million dollar alternative energy project
- Conducted ABAC due diligence and risk assessments and developing and implementing global compliance programs for a Silicon Valley-based technology company
- Represented a multinational technology company based in South Korea in developing and implementing global compliance manuals, policies, and procedures