Douglas Schaaf is a partner and former Chair of the Global Tax Practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's Orange County office. He provides tax and business advice relating to complex business transactions and issuance of financial instruments.
Much of his practice involves providing tax advice in cross-border transactions; acquisitions and recapitalizations of corporations; partnership formation and restructuring matters; tax advice concerning the acquisition and disposition of real estate; tax controversy matters at both the state and federal level; and tax aspects of executive compensation arrangements. He has more than 30 years of experience in a broad range of tax matters.
- The Legal 500 USA, International Tax (2021-2022)
- The Legal 500 USA, Us Taxes: Non-Contentious (2021-2022)
- Chambers USA, Leading tax lawyer (2010-2022)
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., 1981
- St. Norbert College, B.B.A. (magna cum laude), 1978
- Greenbrier Companies, a leading international supplier of equipment and services to global freight transportation markets, in its acquisition of American Railcar Industries for $410 million
- Greg Norman, the hall of fame golfer, in a strategic partnership with Authentic Brands Group
- Platinum Equity in its acquisition of Fabcon, a manufacturer of precast wall systems
- Samsung Electronics America in its acquisition of Dacor, a luxury home appliance maker
- GI Partners in connection with its acquisition of Netsmart Technologies, Inc.
- Telogis, Inc. in its sale to Verizon Communications Inc.
- GI Partners in its acquisition of Far Niente Wine Estates
- Brocade in its acquisition of Ruckus Wireless
- China Media Capital in its joint venture with Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc. to launch a new movie studio
- Marvel Entertainment in its US$4 billion sale to the Walt Disney Company in a tax-free reorganization
- Fitness International, LLC in its acquisition of 171 Bally Total Fitness Clubs
- Dubai World in its US$5.1 billion investment in MGM MIRAGE pursuant to a public tender offer and joint venture
- The Telx Group, Inc. in its sale to ABRY Partners and Berkshire Partners LLC
- American Access Care in its US$385 million sale to Fresenius Medical Care
- Vance Street with respect to various acquisitions and dispositions of portfolio companies
Engagement & Publications
- Co-authored "Contingent Consideration and Contingent Liabilities in Taxable Asset Liquidations," appearing in the NYU 67th Institute on Federal Taxation
- Co-authored "Tax Issues for Troubled Companies," appearing in 2010 Major Tax Planning, USC Gould School of Law (62nd Tax Institute)
- Spoken to participants in seminars and conferences sponsored by the California State Bar Association, the Los Angeles County Bar Association, the Orange County Bar Association, the University of Southern California, the Harvard Business School, the American Management Association, the CPA Society of California, and numerous other organizations
- Member of the Tax Section, American Bar Association
- Former chair of the Corporate Tax Committee, Los Angeles County Bar Association Tax Section
- Former chair of the Tax Section, Orange County Bar Association