Eric D. Distelburger
Associate, Employment Law Department
San FranciscoPhone: 1(415) 856-7018
Eric Distelburger is a senior associate in the Employment Law practice of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm’s San Francisco and Palo Alto offices. Mr. Distelburger has extensive experience advising companies on their most complex labor and employment needs. Recent hot button issues that he has focused on include:
- Advising clients on compliance with AB 5 and attendant independent contractor concerns;
- Mitigating joint employer risks, particularly for clients with large contingent workforces; and
- Counseling clients facing employee activism in the workplace. On this issue, in particular, Mr. Distelburger has carved out a niche, combining his traditional labor law background with his vast experience defending employers against discrimination claims to help clients navigate this politically sensitive and emotionally charged area of the law.
In addition to his robust counseling practice, he specializes in defending employers in litigation ranging from single plaintiff discrimination claims to complex class, collective, and representative (PAGA) actions—including both wage and hour litigation and EEO litigation. Mr. Distelburger has also defended numerous employers against charges before the National Labor Relations Board. He consistently achieves successful results for his clients, working towards early case resolution, where possible, and litigating vigorously when necessary.
Mr. Distelburger spent the first part of his career in New York—and remains engaged on New York employment issues—before moving with his wife to the Bay Area. He is an active member of his community, having previously served on AIPAC’s New York Young Leadership Board, as well as the board for Chabad Young Professionals on the Upper East Side. In addition, he currently serves on the Board of Jewish National Fund’s Northern California chapter.
- The George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2012 (graduated with honors; Thurgood Marshall Scholar; Recipient, American Bar Association/Bureau of National Affairs Award).
- Cornell University, B.S. in Industrial Labor Relations, 2009.
- Represented a major health insurer in putative collective action arising under the FLSA. After securing summary judgment on behalf of the client, represented the client in defending against an appeal filed with the Second Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented a large retail company in multi-plaintiff litigation alleging retaliation claims under various federal, state, and local laws.
- Defended a Fortune 500 company against an age-discrimination lawsuit brought as a putative class and collective action under the ADEA and related state law.
- Advised EagleTree Capital in its acquisition of a majority interest in and related financing of Gaylord Chemical Company, LLC, a specialty chemical producer.