Isaac S. Ashkenazi
Partner, Litigation Department
New YorkPhone: 1(212) 318-6432
Fax: 1(212) 230-7892
Isaac S. Ashkenazi is a partner in the Litigation practice of Paul Hastings LLP. Mr. Ashkenazi focuses his practice on complex patent litigation primarily in the pharmaceutical, chemistry, and biotechnology fields. He has experience with a broad range of technologies, including pharmaceutical compounds, proteins, polymers, formulations, and chemical and synthetic processes. Mr. Ashkenazi has represented life sciences companies in patent cases involving a wide variety of therapeutics, including oncology drugs, Parkinson’s medications, proton pump inhibitors, sleep agents, respiratory agents, antiemetics, and cholesterol-lowering and antidiabetic agents.
- The Legal 500's Intellectual Property - Patents: Litigation (Full Coverage) (2021)
- Named a Rising Star in Life Sciences by Law360 in 2018 for several high-stakes wins, including invalidating a key patent for Humira®, the world’s best-selling drug.
- Recognized in The Legal 500 for two successful IPR petitions resulting in rulings that method-of-treatment claims covering the drug product Humira® would have been obvious.
- Named American Lawyer’s 2018 Transatlantic IP Team of the Year for leading a major pharmaceutical litigation through fact, expert and Markman phases, and obtaining six walk-away consent judgments.
- 2017 Law360 Life Sciences Practice Group of the Year.
- Two-time Legal Lion, Law360.
- Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, J.D. (concentration in Intellectual Property), 2005
- The Cooper Union, B.E. in Chemical Engineering, 2002
- Successfully defended Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corp.’s patent covering its blockbuster type 2 diabetes treatments, Invokana® and Invokamet®, in the first Hatch-Waxman Zoom trial in the District of New Jersey.
- Obtained summary judgment of invalidity with respect to patents covering methods of using adenosine asserted by the University of Massachusetts and Carmel Laboratories against 130 different L'Oréal USA products (currently on appeal).
- Secured favorable settlements on behalf of Adamas Pharmaceuticals, Inc. with first filers in patent infringement actions involving its Gocovri® Parkinson’s medication.
- Obtained walkaways from six separate generics for Boehringer Ingelheim in Hatch-Waxman litigations involving its blockbuster Pradaxa® stroke medication.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of Boehringer Ingelheim in connection with patent challenges relating to its proposed biosimilar version of Humira®.
- Successfully defended Sunovion Inc.’s patent covering its popular sleep aid, Lunesta®, in one of the largest Hatch-Waxman Act litigations.
- Obtained favorable settlements on behalf of Allos Therapeutics, Inc., with multiple defendants seeking approval for generic versions of its Folotyn® cancer treatment.
- Represented Amgen Inc. in a patent infringement case concerning a modified growth colony-stimulating factor (G-CSF) for the treatment of neutropenia, and secured a complete walkaway in a patent infringement case brought by Teva concerning Amgen’s Sensipar® product, used for the treatment of secondary hyperparathyroidism.
- Served as trial counsel for Pfizer Inc. (Wyeth) and Nycomed in a successful jury trial concerning a validity challenge to the patent covering the companies’ $2 billion-dollar-per-year acid reflux medication, Protonix®.
- Member of the State Bars of New York and New Jersey, and admitted to practice in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and the United States District Courts for the Southern District of New York and the District of New Jersey
- Admitted to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office