Dr. Jan Gernoth is a partner of Paul Hastings and is based in the firm's Frankfurt office. His practice focuses on real estate transactions, in particular the sale and purchase of real estate portfolios or individual properties. He also routinely represents domestic, European and non-European companies in connection with commercial leases. Before joining Paul Hastings, he was part of a major US law firm since 2004 and also practiced in its Chicago office.After completing a banking apprenticeship, Dr. Gernoth studied law at the Universities of Hamburg and Heidelberg. He earned his doctorate degree from the University of Heidelberg (with research stays in Exeter and London). He has been admitted to practice in Germany since 2004 and is fluent in German and English.
- Admitted to practice in Germany since 2004
- University of Heidelberg, Dr. iur., 2004
- Higher District Court of Zweibruecken (2nd State Exam), 2003
- University of Heidelberg (1st State Exam), 1999
- Advised CONREN Land on the acquisition of the Hamburg commercial property "Neuer Hafenklang" from B&L Group. The office building has a rental area of around 4,700 square meters and is located not far from the Hamburg fish market.
- Advised Cara Real Estate on the acquisition of the Frankfurt commercial property Untermainkai 27-28 from Credit Europe Bank. The office building, located directly on the banks of the Main River, has a rental area of approx. 4,000 square meters.
- Advised the Danish brewery group Carlsberg on the acquisition of Wernesgrüner Brauerei from Bitburger Braugruppe by Carlsberg Germany. Wernesgrüner is one of the most traditional German beer brands. The roots of the brewery can be traced back to the 15th century. The current brewery, which has been part of Bitburger Braugruppe since 2002, has an annual capacity of around 1 million hectoliters.
- Advising Apollo Real Estate on several transactions, inter alia the sale of a commercial property portfolio consisting of 52 objects
- Advising Carlsberg on a sale and lease back transaction regarding Carlsberg’s production site in Hamburg
- Advising Internos Global Investors on several hotel transactions in various European countries
- Advising Invesco Real Estate on several transactions, inter alia the sale of seven European hotel properties to Pandox AB as well as he acquisition of a portfolio of 13 hotel properties in Germany and the Netherlands
- Advising the board of creditors of a hybrid fund relating to the refinancing of IVG Immobilien AG
- Advising Hatfield Philips on several transactions, inter alia the sale of a commercial property portfolio (so called Bridge Portfolio) with commercial properties in Berlin, Düsseldorf, Eschborn, Frankfurt am Main, Sulzbach and Wiesbaden and the sale of a residential property portfolio (so called Margaux Portfolio), with residential properties mainly in Berlin, Düsseldorf, Neuss, Leipzig, Halle and Gotha
- Advising Park Street Advisors on the purchase of a portfolio of 14 commercial properties
Engagement & Publications
Dr. Gernoth has published several articles and given presentations on real estate and corporate law questions, recently on topics related to international joint ventures and the German Foreign Trade Law.